security on multiple files

NEWtoFM3

This topic is 8127 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am using FM3 on a Mac.

I have about 17 files, with 1 file as a password required startup/login file. I would like users only to be able to access the 16 other files only after successfully logging onto the startup/login file. Opening the other 16 files at any time outside of the buttons in the main file would bring the user back to the login file. I have a startup file with a login script, but I'm not sure how to tell the other files to require the script. Thanks in advance for the help. [email protected]

For each file except the Login file:

Create a global field.

Create a script ("OpenDirect") that closes the file if the global field is empty -- also, start the script by setting the AllowUserAbort to "off". Set that as the default opening script.

Create a script ("Close") that empties the global field. Set that as the default closing script.

Create a script ("OpenFromLogin") that puts something into the global field -- like a zero, or something.

(N.B.??? If you upgrade to version 5, once you've created identical global fields in all files, you need only create the scripts once, then import them into the other files.)

Now in the Login file:

Create a button for each file that performs an external script -- the "OpenFromLogin" script.

The script that runs from the Login file will place something into the global field, thus avoiding automatically closing the file. Also, when you close any file, it will empty the global field, so that if you try to open it directly it will just close right away.

Put all the files on a FM host, and set all the files except the main to "multi-user (hidden)" in the Sharing options.

Whatever you do, don't let people open the databases by clicking on the icons on a shared network volume: corruption will result. Host then properly.

• 2 weeks later...

This topic is 8127 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.