Is Filemaker The Right Product????

This topic is 6474 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I don't know if this even belongs in this forum, so if it isn't would one of the moderators please move it where it belongs:

I have an opportunity to develop a product that has the following requirements, and I don't know whether Filemaker is even the right tool.

1- The database should be available over the web.

2- It is single user, but there may be 500-1000 simultaneous users (maybe more after awhile). Each user will have access to the entire database. Users will not necessarily be part of the same company. Subscriptions will be sold to access the entire file.

3- The data will be updated centrally, and users will have no opportunity, nor any need to change the data.

4- The data will be replaced every month.

5- The search capabilities will be relatively simple, but users will need to be able to print what has been found.

6- The user interface will be fairly simple, drop-down lists and menus, portals, etc.

7- The system needs to be able to display graphics as well as data.

8- The number of records might be in the range of 100,000, with maybe 100-150 fields per record. I don't know what the graphics would take up in terms of space, but maybe 50 of the 150 fields would be graphics.

I've only used FM in a single-user environment, for which I think it is perfect. This application, because of the number of simultaneous web users, makes me think other products may be better.

Comments??? If FM is the wrong product, does anyone have any suggestions?

Steve

1- The database should be available over the web.

2- ... there may be 500-1000 simultaneous users ...

FileMaker Server Advanced supports up to 100 concurrent users. Users and security are manageable in FileMaker.

3- The data will be updated centrally...

4- The data will be replaced every month.

Sounds like you might use a FileMaker hosting company and then upload a new file each month.

5- The search capabilities will be relatively simple,

... users will need to be able to print ...

6- The user interface will be fairly simple...

7- The system needs to be able to display graphics...

All feasible over the web with FileMaker.

8- The number of records might be in the range of 100,000, with maybe 100-150 fields per record. I don't know what the graphics would take up in terms of space, but maybe 50 of the 150 fields would be graphics.

100k records is fine, 100 fields per record sounds like a database normalization problem, ditto with 50 graphic fields. I.e. you should look at your design and see if it makes sense to use 50 related records with one field rather than one record with 50 fields (not counting match fields).

Tom: Doesn't 500 and up simultaneous users kill the whole thing? These are unrelated individual users...they access public information, but don't change it. I can't control when they access stuff.

Or are you implying that the # of users are the hosting company's problem? They would balance the loads and the need for additional servers?

Steve

I think the servers could be load-balanced, but I'm not certain how it works. On the other hand, you could use CWP/PHP and get around the limit, but I'm not sure about the licensing issues there.

This topic is 6474 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.