Server Maintenance This Week. ×

log-in screen doesn't show

This topic is 6469 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi everyone.

I have a FM7 database on a shared drive that I want to be accessed according to priviledges. I setup the users under "File-Define-Accounts/Priviledges" and then "Edit-Sharing-FileMaker Network", but when I closed out of the program and re-opened it, I was not prompted to enter a username or password.

How is this activated? Is this because I'm recognized as the admin user already?

New FM files have the "Admin" user automatically created and that is also the default log in.

See File > File options

Should be obvious from there. Don't forget to check out he online help system for FMP

What do you mean put it on my own desktop. This is a database that needs to be accessible by others in my office. Currently, it is on a shared drive, just like all data is required to be.

I don't want to lose any of the data. Can you clarify what you mean by your message?

Thanks a million!

Currently, it is on a shared drive, just like all data is required to be.

[color:red]Oh, my. No. No. Who told you this? Please take a look at the manuals accompanying the product. FileMaker Pro files should not be accessed via shared drives by multiple users. This will damage them.

Steven

What I meant by 'just like all data is required to be' is that my org. has a designated shared folder for everyone in my department to have access to data and to prevent loss (they backup weekly).

I'm trying to figure out where we're supposed to have the information if not on the shared. I'm lost as far as accessibility goes if not on the shared. Where else is it supposed to be and still be accessible?

You really need to get someone in there who knows how to set up FileMaker Pro and/or FileMaker Server for you. FIleMaker has its own multi-user capability distinct from and independent of the OS network sharing capabilities.

You need to get that file off that shared drive before you damage it even further.

Steven

This topic is 6469 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.