Portal Search Filter for any term

Jon Crain

This topic is 6467 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I seem to be full of questions this week...

Sorry again if this has been talked about before.

What I'm trying to do is create a script step that will filter all results of a field so that the portal only shows what you're looking for. It's easy to do if its not a portal.

What I have is 5000+ songs that people can play if they select them. Sometimes the name might not match what the people will be thinking so a search works much better in this case than filtering based on the first couple letters in the title.

I'll attach the file, I'm currently just working on the songs layout to get it to work properly.

jon

Wheatland.zip

Edited by Guest

There are a couple ways to do this.

If you want to allow partial matches starting from the beginning of each word, or from anywhere in the word, you'll need FileMaker 8 Advanced to install some recursive custom functions, like I talk about here:

http://www.fmforums.com/forum/showpost.php?post/183594/

If you just want to allow partial matches starting from the beginning of the text, then you can use FileMaker's range relationships to filter the relationship, like John demonstrates in his Type Ahead demo:

http://www.filemakerpros.com/TYPEAHEAD.sit

Ok, for the most part I'm starting to understand what's going on. I have the custom functions set up correctly (as far as I can tell) and have the calc keys setup (not sure if those are right...) but I'm not seeing much change in my portal.

So I think I have the backend setup right, but the post you mention doesn't say much about the UI.

Any help?

See attached file for example.

jon

Wheatland.zip

Edited by Guest

This topic is 6467 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.