Export to desktop

Dagel

This topic is 6465 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

In a Windows runtime (Dev 6), I have a script which exports a small text file then e-mails it to us as an attachment using a plug-in. Works great except in rare cases where a user's corporate IT dept has the machine locked down tight. In these cases the user has to dig the file out and send it using their regular mail application.

I'd like to make it easier for the user to locate the file by getting it to the desktop without any additional interaction. If I were to script this to save to the desktop, should that work? Do I have to worry about all the possible drive variations or on a PC is the "Desktop" the uppermost level in the file hierarchy?

Oh right... didn't notice, for some reason i read the 6 as an 8 lol lol lol.

Anyway, in that case, i'm pretty sure that unless you use vbscript and a series of system variables, generate and execute the script, pull the result back into fm etc.etc. you might be better off just using a constant filepath you specify somewhere.

Genx-

"...you might be better off just using a constant filepath you specify somewhere."

This is exactly what I want to do. How would I consistently get it to the user's desktop? I don't need to do anything else with the file once it's there.

But the problem with desktop, is that it's not constant... it changes depending on the users name .. e.g. BOB:

c:Documents & SettingsBobDesktop

... Mary:

c:Documents and settingsMary JaneDesktop

: im not completely familiar with FM 6 functions

c) I just remembered, that you would have to specifiy a variable to get this to work anyway - you need fm 8

d) You might be better off looking troi's FM file plugin

e) ... Unless.. you can be bothered moving this file using windows environment variables and CMD or something - e.g.

using %allusersprofile% would get it to:

c:documents and settingsall users and you could just tack on desktop..

or, if you can have some error... just export directly to c:documents and settingsall usersdesktop

The only problem you'll ever really come up with is if your users windows install isnt based on the c drive.

This topic is 6465 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.