Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Modification TimeStamp of Host

This topic is 6468 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I can't test this right now so I was hoping some of you know ...

I use a Modification Timestamp (auto-enter called ModifyTS) but not all clients have the exact same time. I want to switch to a host-based idea. Since we can't use an auto-enter (HOST Modification TimeStamp), would the following new calc (auto-enter, Replace) work?

Let ( trigger = ModifyTS ; Get ( CurrentHostTimeStamp ) )

The auto-enter modifications is the only thing that I know of which will fire when ANY field within a record changes. But I don't want THAT time ... I want to capture the host's time. If I'm over-complicating, just bonk me!

UPDATE: I realize it works in stand-alone. But I'm unsure if it will work correctly if served. And I also wonder if there are more efficient ways, ie, If ( ModifyTS ; Get ( CurrentHostTimeStamp ) ; ModifyTS ) ... because an indexed calc should fire just as well if the field referenced changes, right?

LaRetta :wink2:

Edited by Guest
Added Update

Why don't you just try it on a test file hosted on your server? Should be easy enough to setup and test, right? While you're in there, you can finish installing Server Advanced (haven't you been sitting on that installer for like a year?) :(

Why don't you just try it on a test file hosted on your server? Should be easy enough to setup and test, right?

Yep, it works on Server but I wanted to implement this process when I was home on weekend and didn't want to drive an hour to the office to test it and I wasn't sure. :(

What puzzles me about these unique auto-enter fields (Modification Timestamp etc) is that they can trigger another field which has auto-enter (Replace) but when the second field changes, it does NOT again trigger the Modification Timestamp. When I first thought of using it this way, I assumed it would circular trigger it but it doesn't. One can change several fields and (if you haven't exited the record yet), Modification Timestamp only fires once. If you modify the Modification Timestamp itself, it fires twice (thanks Comment for that observation).

These fields are UNIQUE because they fire on any field change (even without reference to them within a calc). And if I can find out the theory behind their behavior, it will increase my knowledge of how FM works internally and it will become an additional tool in my kit. It intrigues (and perplexes) me.

While you're in there, you can finish installing Server Advanced (haven't you been sitting on that installer for like a year?)

Oh, Mike, of course not!! We purchased Server Advanced 7 then Server Advanced 8. I haven't used either one so it's more like 2 years! :giggle:

But dealing with learning 7 (and creating a full agency design (through GL) then learning the changes in vs.8, incorporating SecureFM upgrades (7 & 8), version differences and unexpected behaviors (through 7 then 8) has keep me quite busy. :wink2:

This topic is 6468 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.