Multi line Automation

This topic is 6455 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

In define database and relationships - your relationship graph, double-click the = between them and it will open. Re-select CompanyID on both sides and click CHANGE. You're almost there. :wink2:

ok did that, and created the sent id, im going to change the issues sent out list to reference as many of records as i can then do the portal. i shoud make the protal in the records list or issues sent list?

There are many issues for one Company. This is a one-to-many (or 1:n) and you view portals from the ONE side (Companies). So on a Companies layout, create a portal of your Issues Sent.

One more thing. Both uniqueIDs (CompanyID and SentID) should be auto-enter but ALSO 'prohibit modification' should be checked. And never put these IDs on a layout (or in portal) where User can change them. If you display them anywhere, be sure to select the field, right-click and change behavior to NOT allow entry in Browse. If you change the CompanyID in your portal, ie, change the CompanyID in your Issues Sent, then you will break the relationship and that record will disappear from the portal.

Have fun. :smile2:

Edited by Guest
Added sentence

... but ... "im going to change the issues sent out list to reference as many of records as i can"

... they should already be related now. When you set the Issues Sent CompanyID with the Companies CompanyID. They should all be related (except for the wonky 11).

Right ON. :(^)

Remember that you won't want to display Records::Last Name and so forth in the portal though. Users will already KNOW that information because it will appear on the main Records layout (each Company). But if you need to display from Issues, you can use Company fields directly. And you're rockin' now!

well im back and im trying to add the portal, if i add it in issues sent list it does it per record and if i do it in record list it doesnt load anything. Am i missing something about portals?

on another note, since some of the records i had already manually combined milti line is their a quick way i can split them up? They all have the same format with a caridge return seperating them. or do i have to do it manually

"correction: It only shows a hand full of records, out of 400+ "

On each Records layout (Company), it will only show those records which relate, ie, have the same CompanyID.

How did you combine them into multiline? Did you create something like this?

IssueName (space) Issue (space) Sent On (space) ... and so forth, then carriage return then the same thing (another record) on the second line?

Addition: Because you will need to not only split them by record, but split them by FIELD. And if any field was blank ... well ...

Edited by Guest

Issue name is a field which as a caridge return so it be like

June 2006

June 2006

of the ones i multi lined i made sure all the portal field were filled

as for the records their about 500 entries in my issues sent out and about 400 in records, but when i use the portal not Every record shows its assosiated issue sent out.

i think some data must have been lost i fear ill have to manually enter the mising data

I suggest you instead grab your backup. It will be easier than attempting to split some of the entries and re-entering others. You now know what to do - do it again on the raw data prior to your conversion attempt.

Hmmm, well it sounds like you'll have some data to clean up. Been there ... done it. :wink2:

If not all Issues Sent are being shown on their respective Records layout, it may just mean that it didn't set the CompanyID in one of the two tables. Did you check to be sure it serialized them all properly? Because if your relationship is from Records::CompanyID = Issues Sent::CompanyID then it will work.

If you wish to clean up those multilines, we can do that ... but I'm still unclear on what the data looks like. If you multiline two records, there are several fields involved. But that should probably be another thread, something called, "Un-multilining multiple fields." We can do it but we must have specific field names and know the delimiter you used. Or did you just open a field, add a carriage return, and enter the next field's single entry all the way through the fields? If so, we can script a reversal for you.

NOTE: If you added the second record's data to each field, what did you do if the field was empty on the first record but had something on the second? Did you put a carriage return then add the entry?

LaRetta

Edited by Guest
Added Note

no field should be empty (unless i hadent finished entering the data manually in wich case its moot the true copy record hasnt been deleted)

any fields that were empty weir either place holder records or incomplete copies.

Any time a new records was multi lined they has issue name, volume, number, sent number, office from, and sent date

it was just a caridge return concatonation

Edited by Guest

This topic is 6455 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.