Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Make PDF out of FMP7

bigchiefs

This topic is 6127 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm running fm7 on Mac OSX (10.4.6).

I've set up a button that calls a script that "prints" to PDF through the OSX print dialog. This all works fine.

The problem I'm having is that all PDF's are created with the window name and overwrite the previous PDF. I'd like the PDF's to be named based on the value of a field in the record being "printed".

I know that I can achieve this by re-naming the PDF using applescript but does anyone know a simpler / cleaner approach.

Many thanks,

Mark

Upgrade is the obvious solution. An upgrade is planned (I already run fm8) but all my users are still on 7. I have a solution that works locally (using applescript) but I'm having problems making it work across the network. Probably just a scripting bug I need to iron out.

Just hoped someone may have had a more elegant solution.

Cheers, Mark

• 7 months later...

Apologies for posting this reply so late: perhaps somebody can make use of it...

Yes, you can create a unique PDF filename in FMP7.0

If you add a 'New Window' script step, then give the new window a title, by formula, that's what will form the basis of the printed PDF file name.

Set a global number field to increment by one each time the print script is run, then this step, coupled with the Window Title gives you a version number that changes each time you print to pdf...

• 3 months later...

I have been trying to do this in FMP 8 without success - probably missing a key point.

I want to produce pdfs - one per record in a file with the pdf file name in the format serial-no.pdf where serial-no is a field in the record.

Using the New Window approach - I can get a window with the serial-no as the window name. Do you have a separate "pdf printer"? There was the implication in an earlier post that it was part of full Adobe Acrobat. Or do you somehow control the Mac OS Print - PDF option so that the window name is preserved as the file name for the pdf. If so, could you share how you do that - it would be a big help. When I try to use the "save Records as a pdf" in FMP 8 it won't let me insert a calculated file name - just a simple box. It will make one large pdf file with all the records but not the one file per record that I need.

Thanks for your help.

Using the New Window approach - I can get a window with the serial-no as the window name. Do you have a separate "pdf printer"? There was the implication in an earlier post that it was part of full Adobe Acrobat. Or do you somehow control the Mac OS Print - PDF option so that the window name is preserved as the file name for the pdf. If so, could you share how you do that...

Hello Lorne,

I think you've got me! Something I hadn't taken account of previously...

Yes, I run Adobe Acrobat. This does no more than provide the pdf printer option within the printer drop-down, but because it does, that's how I'm able to 'print' with the window name as the filename...

However, from a cursory look, if you introduce the script step "Save Records as PDF" an options window is called which allows you to specify the title as a calculation, which ought to do it.

Having re-read your email I can see that you're pretty close to what I've suggested: have you tried the "Specify Options" angle?

Let me know how you get on...

This topic is 6127 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.