Multiple simialir layouts design. Please help

HPage

This topic is 6529 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi, im new to using Filemaker. I was wondering if there is a way to make a master layout? I know I can duplicate layouts, but say I have a set of standard buttons that appear on every layout in the same place, and I want to add or change a button, I have to create (or copy and paste) them everytime. Copy and pasting them is ok, but getting them in exactly the same place everytime takes a lot of time (unless there is a easy way I dont know of yet). Is there at least away to get them on exactly the same posistion as on the other layouts? Help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

The solution I have used is to create template layouts that have the common interface elements on it, and then copy those layouts when I want to create a new one. This is not ideal (for example, what happens when you decide to change your look or general layout? LOTS of manual changes), but it is better than nothing.

I have about 4 or 5 template layouts for several different types of screen--a list display, a full display, a couple of informational displays, and a message display.

HTH,

David

getting them in exactly the same place everytime takes a lot of time (unless there is a easy way I dont know of yet).

The easy way would be using the T-squares (funny that the previous poster hadn't mentioned those... : ).

See also Help > Editing objects on layouts > Using tools to precisely position objects.

Edited by Guest

What helps me tremendously is always using View > Object Size (on px). Then just Edit > Select All, Copy and, before doing anything else, make note of the top two numbers. Then go to your new layout and paste anywhere. Before de-selecting, change the top number (then tab or enter) then change the next (and tab or enter). The entire selected set will position exactly as it was on the last layout. Object Size is under-used I think. :wink2:

The easy way would be using the T-squares (funny that the previous poster hadn't mentioned those... ).

Too funny! :giggle: And he calls himself a Datatrooper!

Although I too use a T-Square on occasion (the tool not the Datatrooper), I mostly use a couple placeholder graphics in the upper-left and lower-right corners. Then if some objects need to be copied to another layout, I'll grab the objects and the placeholders, and paste the whole lot into the other layout.

Hey LaRetta, I think we're tied!?

Oh too funny! The T-Square reference went right over my head! And then, Mike, I read you saying, "Hey LaRetta, I think we're tired." Tired? Oh! It says tied! Well you know women ... I had to get the last word in and one-up you on post numbers! ROFLAMO!

Yeah, I've tried the graphics in the corner routine for almost 2 years. But it's unnecessary - FM keeps coordinates for the group. I finally made myself decide by testing the two options when I had to replace a series of menu bars. Using Object Size to place is lightening fast in comparison. :wink2:

My nickname has different origins, and I just sort of forget--just like Thomas and Tom seem different in my brain (that's the origin BTW). Also, I never remember that the FM tool is called a T-Square.

Oh--I do the Object Size routine as well. And have used the hidden graphic thing too.

David

This topic is 6529 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.