Look Up another field and calculations

Field

This topic is 6525 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I want to produce a field that automatically calculates the distance between two locations based on the postcode. The two loctions are in different databases (client & candidate).

Problem:

How do I create a field in the candidate database that will look up a value in a third database(postcodes) based on the postcode field in the candidate database?

I have created the database for postcodes but need the field in the candidate database to lookup a value based on his/her postcode.

basically i need a calculation that will tell filemaker to " use the postcode field in this record in the candidate database to get a value from the postcode database and put this value into a new field in the candidate database".

Clear as mud eh?

Any help and guuidance will be appreciated.

Create a relationship between candidate and postcodes based on the postcode. Once that's done, you can use it for lookups, or you can display the data directly without a lookup.

I.e., if you have client->candidate->postcode, you can see the postcode info in the client file; you don't have to first "pipeline" it into the candidate file, the way we used to do in FileMaker 6.

This topic is 6525 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.