Create a VL from multiple fields in the same table

This topic is 6522 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I can't find a way to do this: create a value list using the contents of four different global text fields from within the same table.

I have tried creating a new table for this purpose, but cannot design the relationship to allow each field to create a record in this new table.

Can someone point out my error?

... why are you trying to use globals for this? And further, if the values are static, just make a static list, and further than that, you wouldn't need a relationship if you wanted all the contents of a particular field of all the records in a particular table.

• Newbies

You guys are correct; these fields do not need to be global. The fields of this table are my "constants" file. It only has 1 record.

The rest of the database refers to this file for the names and properties of these few items. But... I must have absolute integrity on this particular value list, thus; I don't want a static list that the user can edit. The user can change this VL by changing the 4 original fields (which also modifies everything else based on these fields such as layout headers, scripts, buttons and labels.

This appears to be such a simple thing but not something I've come across before...

1) You shouldn't store constants in globals unless you want them to be user changeable.

2) Try stored calculations for this

3) Static lists can be non-user editable...

P.S. Welcome to the forums :)

Edited by Guest

• Newbies

:) Thank you for the welcome and... your time.

This table is part of the initial set up. The user must be able to change these fields, but because of the importance of input integrity, I'd prefer that FMP copy these fields into the list rather than the user.

I'm studying up on "stored calcs" trying to discern how I might use them as you suggest. Since all the other data in this table are global values, I could simply do a self-join relationship with a portal showing four records of a single field, but then all my references to these four fields as a single field with four records would get more complicated (and I have a lot of them) :)

FileMaker is such an incredible program. I've found nothing I can't make it do somehow as this forum attests. (Although, I swear that voodoo is sometimes involved.) I've upgraded from V.3 to 5 to 6 to 7 and now V.8 over the past 9 years. V.7 was quite a leap but has proven to be worth the trouble.

Again, thanks for your clue. If I can't figure it out, you may see my post again.

This topic is 6522 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.