login advice

devinh

This topic is 6518 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

can some please point me to ways of controlling login and privs.

What I'm wanting is a filemaker document that user will open from their computer, allow the user to enter their name and password, this would then be checked against a database on the server. Once they have logged on then can choose what database they want to see. Some users will have full privs to all while some users will have full privs on some and read-only on others.

I'm looking for both samples and good reading material!

Thanks

Devin

You can set them be able to see all layouts. But at the same time you can restrict them not able to see the fields. They can see the program but not the data. This is the best way.

Fei is talking about Accounts & Privileges of course. You truly should let FM handle the login and NOT store passwords within a table. Check out other posts here in FileMaker Security Management. It sounds like you want OS authentication instead of using FM authentication. The login (on each User system) is then passed to the host file.

I find the filemaker interface hard to control and lacking.

maybe it's because it's so new for me. But I don't want to add security to every filemaker database. I would like it for it to be in one place.

I want something just like unix permissions. Owner/Group/readonly.

Devin

The other thing is. Is I've set up privs using filemaker per database.

I've got someusers when they open up the database the login pops up. I've got others users that when they do the same thing it opens up as guest with no pop-up. They need to hold down the option key so that they can log in.

Edited by Guest

It appears as if you really don't have any Identity and Access Management--a key component of security--with your system.

External Server Authentication will allow for a single logon. Thereafter access privileges will be controlled by the rules you set in the files themselves.

Take a look at the Security White paper (How to Use the New Security System) and the External Server Authentication White paper. Both are on the FileMaker web site at:

http://www.filemaker.com/support/upgrade/techbriefs.html

Also, while I am not here to advertise, you might be interested in:

http://www.filemakersecurity.com

Steven

All I want is a single location to control users so that I don't need to enter them so many times.

External Server Authentication is explicitly and purposefully designed to do just this.

See the External Server Authentication Tech Brief at

http://www.filemaker.com/support/upgrade/techbriefs.html

Steven

Yes, I've looked them over and it does not look fun!

Filemaker with the server should have this built in!

Apples Open directory is not something I want to move to at this time and place, I don't have the time. It would be much easer for me to enter the users.

Thanks for the info....Maybe when I get some free time I can try and start an open direcotry with Leporad, that is when I have free time.

Devin

Edited by Guest

This topic is 6518 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.