Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Related Value Lists Don't Work (ugh)

This topic is 8587 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Here's one for everyone to chomp on...

My users are creating new records. On the "New Record" format page, I'm passing simple information to speed the data entry (i.e. the current date, their username, etc.) I am also setting up some of the fields as entries with Value Lists....Now the curious thing is this all works...EXCEPT! When I use a Value List that shows only "related values" it doesn't work...zilch....nothing. But change the exact same value list to show ALL values from a field and it works fine. Go figure! My best guess is that FileMaker doesn't index Value Lists within itself...and as we all know, if a relationship isn't indexed...FileMaker chokes on sending it through Web Companion. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Keep up the great work everyone. This is a wonderful forum.

Cheers. Jeff

Just to clarify. The related value list mentioned above works from WITHIN FileMaker. It just won't work through the Web Companion. Weird, huh? Anyway, as many of us are forced to do, I found another method for doing what needed to be done.

Thanks,

Jeff

• 4 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by jwtidwell:

Just to clarify. The related value list mentioned above works from WITHIN FileMaker. It just won't work through the Web Companion. Weird, huh? Anyway, as many of us are forced to do, I found another method for doing what needed to be done.

Thanks,

Jeff

It works through relation as well in HTML. In my scenario, people are entering articles into FileMaker db and one field is filled with keyword from value list.

Keywords are sitting in related database.

Client is presented by ALL values from related database, about 300 list.

Visitor, who searches for article will use not the value list with 300 keywords, but used keywords in db, about 80 of them is in use.

This topic is 8587 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.