Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Go to specific related record

stevenjo57

This topic is 8436 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have a portal list within a parent database. I want to click on the specific line in the portal and have it take me to that record in the child database.

No matter what I do, the "go to related record" script takes me to the first related record in the child database.

I don't want the first one! I want the one I click on!

Thanks in advance.

Place a transparent button over the portal row. Format the button to "Go to Related Record."

If it's done right in the portal row it works. If you are selecting the row and then clicking a button somewhere outside the portal, the default portal row number will immediately revert to 1, and that is the related record that you will go to.

As Bob describes, I use a button outside the portal to do what you are describing. I like this approach because the function of the button is obvious due to its label. The function of the transparent button isn't always obvious to the user (after all, its transparent). The user first clicks on the portal row they are interested in, and then presses the button. The button executes a two-step script. The first step is a "Go to Related Record" in the child file. The second step is an external script in child file that is also "Go to Related Record," and opens the appropriate layout. This will take the user to the correct record in the portal row.

Good luck, Keith Silva

Bob is talking about putting a button *inside* the portal row. He states that a button outside the protal won't work, it'll only ever go to the first row.

You CAN do it with a button outside the portal row, BUT you must create another relationship based upon a global, make sure a portal row is selected, set the global to the index of the portal row, a "go to related record" for the global relationship. -bd

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all of you for this - definitely a big help! You just saved me hours of angst-ridden button-inside or button-outside turmoil.

I decided on a transparent button in the portal, but added a script step to put a mark in a field next to the portal, so that I know which row I clicked. It looks great!

This topic is 8436 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.