Strange Behavior in on layouts

This topic is 6368 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have recently upgraded to v8.5 Advanced and am experiencing some weird behavior on my layouts. When I add a field I cannot see it (although it is there, I can see the field label). When I set borders I cannot see them. I cannot see the handles when the field is selected. In Browse Mode I cannot see the cursor when I enter the field and I cannot see text as I type. But when I click out of the field the text appears. I have been using FileMaker since v2 and have never experienced this sort of behavior. Any thoughts?

Hi Hugh, and Welcome to the Forum.

What version of FM was the file created in?

If you create a new file in 8.5, does this happen too?

Lee

p.s.

Can you reproduce?

Edited by Guest
p.s.

The solution was originally created in v7. I have been thinking that conversion may from 7 to 8 and now to 8.5 may be a factor. Note that the application functions normally. It is only when I began adding fields/layouts that I discovered the problem.

That is weird.

This could be a Bug, but I'm more inclined to think that the file has corruption.

Maybe some additional questions will help now and if you end up filing a Bug Report.

Is this a large file?

Is it heavy with graphics?

Is this file served?

Has it every failed?

Has it been closed improperly?

HTH

Lee

It is a large solution with tens of thousands of records, it includes an integrated knowledge base heavy with graphics (screen shots), it is a served file and it may have been closed improperly (it is a served file afterall). I also just checked with our guys in systems/operations and although we have Server 8, they have not upgraded from Server 7. When things get quiet later, I'll take it "down" and see if the problem persists when opening the solution in 8.5 client. Maybe we have a litle incompatibility issue?:

Edited by Guest

Your current response hints at that fact that you may have been working on these files while they were being served. If so, this is a common source of corruption.

In addition, your other responses have other items that could also indicate possible corruption.

Do you have a regular backup policy?

Do you have a pristine copy of this file?

Have you investigated corruption yet. If not, you should do a search of the Forum for Corrupt or Corruption as this is a multi-Thread subject. Start with this Link.

HTH

Good luck,

Lee

Here's some more info.

Took the solution down and the issue persists. Opened the solution on a Mac and low and behold the issues does not present. Hmmmmm. I can't believe this is a Windows bug (surely would have been discovered) so now I am thinking it could be something with the way our PC's are configured (group policies, etc.) Note that we have a number of soulutions still running in v6 (older PC's, Mac's running pre OSX). The problem seems to only affect v8/8.5. Very interesting. I'll keep you posted.

OK. Reinstalled (again) and no change. I cannot see a field in layout or browse mode, cannot see when I enter it or when I type in it. When I click out of the field the entered text appears. In layout mode I cannot see handles when the field is selected and I cannot see borders or text baselines when I add them. Totally weird stuff.

Am I understanding you to say that the file works properly on a Mac, and not on the Window Machine?

or,

That you have looked at the file off line and they perform the same (look the same) as when being served?

Did you try to create a new field off line, either or both Mac and Win? If so, was the behavior the same?

Can you post a stripped down copy of the file so that we can see what you are seeing.

Lee

OK, here's the latest. Came home and fired up an old PC I have (I normally work on my business laptop, even at home). This machine is running Windows XP Pro, just like my laptop. I installed 8.5 advanced, connected to my work network and the file and it works perfectly. So it must be something with my laptop as I suspected. Thanks for all of your good efforts and advice. I shall not be a stranger to this site.

• 1 month later...

This topic is 6368 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.