Protecting runtime software

Juba

This topic is 6330 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am building an application for a doctor she is planning after I finish the software in FMP Adv, to sell it to other doctors, how can I protect the software so when she sells a copy the client that buys it does not make a copy to another doctor but instead buys it to her (my client), thanks,

Julius

Why are you letting a client distribute your software?

You may need a trip to business school before resolving the first problem...

Let the client distribute the software at a commission at most ... distribute it yourself then customize it for each client (hard code there name/company somewhere).

But do not give away your software copyright...

You retire on the success of it not them ... and then send me a ticket for a weekend in the bahamas for the advice.

She doctor ... you software developer.

best

Stuart ;)

Edited by Guest

Stuart:

Well I am getting the bigger share but she is taking the trouble of selling it and all the billing part ;). thanks I know I cannot give out the copyright.

Inky:

I went to fmlock and I am not clear on something, so I will have to install it on my clients computer so I know the details of the Hard Drive? This is because if I give him a CD then he can make copies of the CD and it will not know the Hard Drive info, could you help me clear my mind on this? Thanks,

Julius

• 2 weeks later...

It looks as though FMLock relies upon the fact that either:

(1) You know the computers information on to which your runtime will be installed

or

(2) You don't know, but that information is pulled upon a first run of the software.

If (1) is correct then you have IMHO a safe software solution that will only run on one computer. The demo appears to confirm that this is the case, but not buying it I am not certain.

I've thought of implimenting a similar setup in my solution but as I'm aiming to release to anyone I wouldn't know their computers' information and pulling the information on a first run would mean it's vulnerable.

I hope this helps.

This topic is 6330 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.