Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Selective access to records

jossmeele

This topic is 6355 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I need to allow users access to a sub-set of my Patients-database based on the Status-field: status="active", any records with status="inactive" should be skipped.

I attempted to implement this with Priviledge sets and it works to a fashion, i.e. the user has no access to the records with status="inactive", but those inactive records still show up in all the reports and layouts with field-contents as "no access". How can I implement this so that it acts like a Find, making the records with status=Inactive totally invisible?

Thanks, Jos.

Edited by Guest

Or perhaps a find status="active" ...

Clearly. However, if you did a find on, for example, all records where the value in the country field was, for example, UK, then only those UK records that are active will return. The search process filters out the non-active records.

Steven

Thanks, so what you are saying is don't bother with the Priviledge Sets, just implement using Find?

This of course also means that any user defined Finds will have to go through a Script to first Find "status-active" then Find within that the user specified Find.

Jos.

Jos--

Assuming that your reason for using the PSets is to limit access to certain records for security purposes, I'd keep the Privilege Sets implemented, since a scripted Find can always be superceded by another Find (or Show All). If it's just so that your users don't have to look at a bunch of irrelevant records, then PSets are probably not necessary.

Steven-- Thanks for the gentle suggestion on a streamlined way of combining a retrieval based on data content with one based on Privilege.

David

Steve and David,

Thanks for your replies.

I see that with FM I need to:

1. use PSets as an absolute protection

2. use a Find-script at startup or login to restrict access to "Inactive" records.

3. catch any ShowAllRecord commands through CustomMenus and run the script as per 2 above to again restrict access.

Agreed that this is the one and most efficient way?

Thanks, Jos.

This topic is 6355 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.