Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Experiance with Bootcamp/Parallels

jhomer

This topic is 6341 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I was wondering if anyone out there has some experience working with either bootcamp or parallels. I work for a company that is a Windows environment. I am trying to justify the purchasing of 2 mac book (or pros). Any insight or things i should look out for would be appreciated.

I personally run a MacBook 2GHz with Parallels and everything works great. In fact, I'm so impressed that I'm going to be moving my desktop setup from one Dual 2GHz G5 and one P4 3GHz to one Quad Mac Pro running Parallels.

I have not had any issues with connecting devices (provided there is a driver for it) and running FMP within the Windows side works just fine.

In fact, here's a little secret. I record my Windows videos for ISO FileMaker Magazine on my MacBook occasionally in Parallels. One word of advice is to have at least 2GB of RAM.

Overall... Thumbs up from me!

Sincerely,

Matt Petrowsky

• 2 weeks later...

Parallels is great. The latest beta version will actually let you work from a BootCamp partition -- so you can dual boot into XP via bootcamp if you need absolute performance, or you can just use it via Parallels if you want to work alongside Mac OS X.

Now i'm sure this is the worst idea ever posted on the forum ... but ...

Does the PC get a different IP (assume it must)

Can you run FMServer in Windows and FMPro in OSX at the same time.

I'm gonna get a mac book next year and would love to troubleshoot networking issues on the fly with just one machine.

Would not ever suggest deploying this ... but may be useful in a purely developemental environment.

This topic is 6341 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.