Does one really need an installer for runtime solutions?

shawnj985

This topic is 6381 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I was under the impression that FM 8.5 adv had the capabilities to "package" a solution with an installer for the enduser.

I am currently working on a database and would like to know ahead of time what I would need to purchase for my endusers? Does it comes with some kind of installer?

FM Advanced 8.5 (or any version) does not come with an installer. On the windows platform, an installer makes life a lot easier for the end-user. Altho you could use something like WinZip, it won't automatically do all the things a true

installer will do, like putting an icon on the desktop, entry in the Start Menu, Uninstall, etc.

Inno Setup is a good, free tool. I use Setup Factory (from Indigo Rose), which is not cheap, but will create a bulletproof install in minutes without much for you to learn.

Steve

The main benefit of an installer is that it places all your files in the "right" location...assume that your clients are a bit thick and somewhat lazy and therefore the need to have installation software that does their thinking and actions for them becomes necessary.

'Tis a fact of life, in my opinion.

This topic is 6381 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.