Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Relationships and subsummaries

djeans

This topic is 6344 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a question.

I have a database with a count table, and a catalog table linked by barcode. When I enter a barcode in the count table, the item is looked up in the catalog table and entered (fields are: barcode, item, size, count, bin_number) with the exception of "count" and "barcode" all fields are looked up from the catalog based on the barcode relationship.

Once I have entered all the counts, I have a subsummary report, sorted by bin number to give me the total number of items per barcode.

Where I am running into trouble, is that I may have several different barcodes that for all intent and purposes, I would like to count the same. For instance, Chopin Vodka may have 2 different barcodes, but at the end of the day, they are the same product. I have tried assigning them the same bin number, but when I run the report, I get two instances of Chopin Vodka, with a total count for each barcode. How do I set it up so that I can scan the two different barcodes, but have my database tally them as the same item?

Thanks for any help.

Your report must, therefore, be using a BODY part.

If you just use a sub-summary part and create appropriate summary fields then you can summarise by bin_number. There is no need for the body part.

HTH

No body part. There is a header and footer, but no body part.

The sub-summary works as I would expect giving me the sum total of each bin number, as long as each bin item with that bin number has the same barcode number. If there are two records with differing barcode numbers but the same bin numbers, then I get two instances on the sub-summary report.

Darron

• 2 weeks later...

Figured it out. Not sure if it's the best way, but it works.

I made the barcode field have 5 repetitions, and made the subsummary report based on the bin number.

Now I can have 5 different barcodes for the same product.

This topic is 6344 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.