Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Controlling records in one window from another (LONG)

John Canino

This topic is 6348 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I hope I am posting to the correct forum. Please advise if I should post elsewhere. I am using FMP 7 Developer.

I am reworking a patient management system from 6 dev to 7 dev. Using the new windowing features of 7, I want to be able to create a portal of CURRENT patients as a navigation list. Basically, the user would just click on a name and the record in the main window would jump to the appropriate patient.

A patient is current when the admit date contains a value and the discharge date does not. The relationships are a bit complicated: ONE visit (hospital stay) can have MANY admissions and discharges. The tables used are as follows: Patient (med rec # is primary key (PK)) - this # stays with pt for life; Visits (VisitID (serial) is PK. Patient also has an account # - 1 per hospital stay. Admissions (AdmitID-serial is PK) and Discharge (DCID is PK). Both windows, data and navigational portal, are using the same patient table.

So, date values in both the admit & disch tables determine whether the patient is current. This relationship is what should populate the portal. Once a disch date is entered for a patient, their name comes off the current pt portal.

I have been having two problems in trying to get this to work. 1) only one patient (current record) shows up in the portal at a time; 2)Clicking the name in the portal does not change to that patient in the main data window.

Can anyone offer suggestions? I cannot find specific info in my manuals, and my online searches regarding window control only return info on window size and placement.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

It is relatively easy in 8 thanks to Ray Cologon at nightwing:

http://www.nightwing.com.au/FileMaker/demos8/demo808.html

Perhaps you can get some tips that are usuable on his site? He has several examples similar to what you are looking to accomplish.

HTH

Al

This topic is 6348 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.