Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Two DSL lines in same network?

This topic is 6348 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This office just ordered a second DSL line just for the FM Server. The reason for this is that the dbs need to be accessed remotely, and the networking guy said that the network performace would be badly affected within the office (when accessed from the outide clients) unless FMS wasn't on a separate DSL line.

So ... yesterday I connected the server to the new DSL line and guess what ... performance is terrible! I was expecting some performance cost since now the clients would have to access a static IP that, even though is within the office, it's like accessing a remote db.

So the question is: can this second line be connected to the office network (somekind of switch?) so the clients see the server as "local", and at the same time the remote users only access the second line through its static IP? I apologize for my ignorance with networking issues ...

There are different ways to do load balancing, but it sounds like you're interested in multi-homing. Server will support multi-homing if your computer is set up for it. Multi-homing would allow you to have two networks connected to your server (through different Ethernet connections). You could have one for your LAN connections and one for you remote WAN connections, each having their own IP address.

In any case, you don't want your LAN clients to have to go out via one DSL connection, then back in through the other. This would defeat the purpose of the second line.

Also, I hope you got SDSL or the equivelant for your WAN connections, where the upload speed is as fast as the download speed. The upload speed is much more significant for the host than the download speed (and the download speed is more significant on the remote client's side).

Ender, thank you very much for detailed response. When you say that:

"there are different ways to do load balancing, but is sounds like you're interested in multi-homing"

... would you approach this issue in a different way? Thanks again.

I used to have 2 DSL's coming into my office that were combined through a Cisco router specifically made for that purpose. So, basically I was able to get T-1 speed. It cost close to $1,000.00 rather expensive. I got the provider to get it for me at their cost so I saved a few $$$. Unfortunately, I do not remember the model number. Your carrier or your network Guru should be able to tell you that info. I had 5 servers and 8 workstations connected through it. It was a temp thing and worked OK, but....

Anyway, I went to a 5mb microwave setup for less money.

Sounds like a great deal. I get 5mb up and 1 mb down from RoadRunner for $125.00 USD per month.

I paid about the same for the microwave. Every area has different pricing. Since I am now on a barrier island we don't get dsl. Verizon hasn't run any fiber optic out here yet.

I guess I'd rather have one fast pipe than 2 slow pipes. So instead of getting the 2 DSL connections, get that T1 (or faster) cable, or point-to-point wireless. It all depends on what's available in your area.

This topic is 6348 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.