I'm trying to create a Matrix/Spreadsheet

Marc Bruvry

This topic is 6346 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

This may not be so simple as I thought.

I'm trying to eliminate the transfer of data from the database to a spreadsheet. The "grid" is some 30 x 35 matrix on the spreadsheet.

Example: if the program = "Beach Walk" and the grade level was = "Pre-k/k", put the total of the programs taught in a matrix grid square (this would be a numeric container field???) say, A1.

So far I've been able to come up with the total count of all "Pre-k/k" programs by using Field Definitions:

(first finding the individual records that fit the criteria)

Field Name: Sum of PreK K

Type: Calculation

Options: If (Age Grade Level = "Pre-k/k";1;0)

['Age Grade Level' is a defined field and comes from a value list]

And then, adding a second definition that sums all of them:

Field Name: Total PreK K

Type: Summary

Options: Total of Sum of PreK K

This is fine and dandy, but I've only summed the first parameter - Pre-k/k programs. Now I need to pull out just the ones that were "Beach Walks" (haven't gotten that far yet.)

And, that's just the first square!!! I've got (30x35) 1050 squares in this grid!!!!!

I am in this for the long haul, but I sure as heck don't want to be barking up the wrong tree for very long. Any ideas on how to make this simpler???

I haven't said anything about pasting and/or repetitions. To get better advice, you could provide some more details, like what does your solution track, which tables do you have, and WHY do you need a matrix type display (Filemaker is not a spreadsheet, and grid display is not one of its stronger points).

• Newbies

Sorry, I miss understood your reply.

We teach Educational Programs (about thirty different ones) to Students (about ten different Grade Levels) from various Counties (about 35). I am trying to report:

How many Educational Programs were taught to each Grade Level.

and

How many Educational Programs were taught in each County.

I realize that these are two separate reports. Therefore, I am trying to display each in a matrix format.

I understand that FileMaker is NOT a spreadsheet program and does not lend itself well to this type of format. But surly someone else has been down this road before me.

It seems to be in the vicinity of what we toyed with in this thread:

http://www.fmforums.com/forum/showpost.php?post/220033/

Not that it's rocket science in any way or can't be trimmed faster with more dedication... but give it some thoughts!

--sd

This topic is 6346 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.