Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Making "X" field required as a result of "Y" field being populated after a modification.

This topic is 6345 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Is there a way to make a field required based on the "populated" status of a related field?

Sometimes I want to make sure that if a record is revisted to add a piece of information that an a related field is also handled approriatly.

Does that make sense?

I think it could be accomplished through a second layout that is only accessed as "data update" type form with the newly required field on that form only?

I think that would work but is there an easier way, and that would only work in an update mode, not on the fly during data entry?

If X-field(not is empty) then Y-Field (Is Required)

Thanks,

Steve

Hi,

This is not working for me....I must be doing something wrong.

Layout Name: Data_Entry

Fields:

Time_In

Time_Due

My calculation looks like this:

Case( not IsEmpty(Time_In) and IsEmpty(Time Due) and Get(Data_Entry) = "Data_Update" ; 0 ; 1 )

I get the error at Get(data_entry)"this parameter is an invalid get function parameter".

Is this the proepr way to call a layout?

Also, in your sample calculation, where is "data update" coming from?

Sorry to be a pain, but thanks for your help if you can.

Steve

Edited by Guest

Case( not IsEmpty(Time_In) and IsEmpty(Time Due) and Get(LayoutName) = "Data_Update" ; 0 ; 1 )

Sorry i should have made clear that Get(LayoutName) is a fileMaker parameter that will retrieve the current layout you're on.

RE: "Data Update" ... i thought that was the name of the layout that you wanted the validation to work on.. or did i miss something there?

If you just want the basic check to only ask for the value if a different field isn't empty then just this will do (i must have misunderstood your question):)

Case( not IsEmpty(Time_In) and IsEmpty(Time Due) ; 0 ; 1 )

This topic is 6345 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.