Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FM "Forgets" a Global Stoarge Number

This topic is 6344 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have two fields marked with the Storage option "Use global storage (one value for all records)"

One is a date type field and the other is a number type field.

When I close and reopen the db, FMP "remembers" the date field, but "forgets" the number field (it goes back to being blank).

Why is this and how do I make FMP remember the number field?

I know I could create these two fields in a new Table that would have only one record, but I'd rather KISS (keep it super simple) and limit the number of Tables.

In a hosted solution, the default values of globally stored fields cannot be set by connecting clients. If you wish to change the defaults, you would need to open the files offline and make the changes there.

In general, it's safer to have your startup script set the values of globals on login. If there are values whos defaults might change from session to session as a result of the user's activity, you must store the values in a table. Keep in mind that using a one-record table for this purpose could have record locking issues in multi-user environments. You might also consider a User table that stores default values for each user.

This topic is 6344 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.