Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Multiple (Self-join) Portals as columns on one page

Artemis26

This topic is 6355 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am new to this forum and if I have missed the solution to this issue in my search, I apologize. If you can point me to an existing reply which might help me or if you have ANY input, I would greatly appreciate it!

I am trying to create a one page report showing 6 different columns of student names by classroom number. I have a student table(with studentID), a classes table(with class no.) and a students by class table(with both studentID and class no.). I created the appropriate relationships among the tables and self-joins by classroom number within the studentsbyclass table. (Maybe self-joins are not the route I should take??)

My problem is: If I place the portals in the classes table, only one portal or classroom will show related students. If I place the portals in the studentsbyclass table, only the related students for a class show up if you are in a particular record.

How can I make the portals show all related students by classroom number globally, no matter which record you are in and where/how can I place each portal as a column of data next to one another on a single report page?

Thanks for any hep I may receive!!

The selfjoin is allright but the realtion should be carthesian, but it seems line you could need some of the funtionality found in this template?

http://www.filemakerpros.com/LessSort.sit

Which means a relations def (perhaps 2) for each field type to group by!

--sd

If you want 6 columns of 6 classes, you will need 6 portals and 12 relationships* - and 6 ClassID fields to establish those relationships. It doesn't matter in which table those 6 fields are. I would make a special Viewer table just for this, and build those relationship in a separate TOG.

---

(*) It's 12 relationships, because you need a pair for each column:

Viewer::gClassID1 = Enrollments1::ClassID

Enrollments1::StudentID = Students1::StudentID

This topic is 6355 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.