Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Import PDF as text

LaRetta

This topic is 6335 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have searched and can find nothing similar to my request. One of our largest chain customers now pays their (hundreds of) invoices by direct deposit. They are providing us with a pdf with the detail (dollars paid on each invoice number). I currently import transactions from many other companies who provide delimited text of their detail but this chain said it was not possible - their program only provides pdf.

I have tried dragging pdf to FM shortcut; nada, the result is garbage. I tried saving the pdf as straight text and it works but the lines are one multiline (all Invoice dates, then the Invoice numbers then the amounts); the format would be difficult (and I think unpredictable). Printing 'print to text' is garbage and standard import pulls everything (including garbage characters) into one field.

Are we stuck re-entering this information? Granted, we did before but it would be a shame if our auto-pay process couldn't handle it for us. :wink2:

Just a suggestion Laretta, but have you tried some of the third party softwares out there? I vaguely recall using a shareware or freeware a couple of years ago when I had a similar problem. I just cant get myself to remember the program name. It was a one time deal.

Hi John,

So maybe something like OmniPage? I believe it converts to text but I haven't used it for several years and not for something like this. It wouldn't automate easily for an end-user but I'll check into it. Thanks for the idea. :wink2:

I might also try printing to text printer.

Edited by Guest

Try looking here:

http://www.foolabs.com/xpdf/about.html

There are command line tools and I used to do a batch conversion of my PDF FM scripts using them. Unfortunately, I have changed computers and no longer have the batch file that did it.

Also, if Acrobat is scriptable with VB or VBScript, then it is possible to do Ctl-A, Ctl-C to copy a PDF as text. The advantage of the xpdf tools is that it is possible to copy and preserve formatting which does not happen when copying directly from Acrobat,

Norman

This topic is 6335 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.