Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Adding related via port "look ahead" behavior

Exceptions

This topic is 6335 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all. Noob. 8.5, Mac.

I've got a quick & dirty database that allows one to enter related child records via a portal. Not the recommended solution, but it's really just for (my) training.

It appears that when you begin to enter data in a portal row, the next row's fields become 'active', highlighting field borders and activating popup menus (although they all remain blank). I'm sure that a new record isn't being created, but it's odd looking, and implies to a user that another record was created. The portal's deletion mechanism also implies that there's one there. In fact it's left ambiguous as to when a child's actually been created. Is this the normal behavior?

This seems to be the case with example files as well. Here's one from 'Using FM 8' that uses scripted buttons but behaves in the same way.

I intend to make an add/modify area (and not use a portal) in real projects, but I would expect that many users just use portals, and so it seems really odd behavior, and kinda ugly.

Thx

Your relationship is set to allow creation of related records. That means you will ALWAYS have a blank last row in your portal, ready for input. When you finish typing into the first field in the last row, a new record is created - and a new blank row is added to the portal.

The example file has a script to add a new portal record, and a "+" button with the script attached to it - so one would expect the relationship NOT to allow creation in this case.

This topic is 6335 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.