Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

NAS server in a peer to peer sharing

diehardfan

This topic is 6473 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello,

My setup has NAS server and four computer that have access to it. Each computer is installed with File Maker 8.5 Advance. We have one database file which all 4 users will be simultaneously accessing with full access privilege.

Now, how would I go around setting this up?

My plan is to make the filemaker template file and put it into the NAS server with network setting turned on to enable sharing. From there, all 4 users can access that file.

My concerns are:

- that will the saving happen real time. Eg: if user 1 inputs a data, user 2 will be able to see the change in real time?

- also I would like to also save a copy of the database file on each computers as a back up, how do I make sure this happens?

Or would you suggest another setup? I do have access to FileMaker Server 8, but I doubt I can use that because the NAS server does not allow installing programs.

I am a newbie to file maker, I have been reading up on tutorials and watching tutorials on the net, so my knowledge is limited.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks

I don't think that NAS is an approriate place to store FileMaker databases. If I understand it correctly, it appears to be a file server. FileMaker databases should be opened on the local drive of a host machine, and accessed remotely via FileMaker built-in sharing from File->Open Remote (or an opener file). Storing files on a shared volume on a file server is a common cause of file corruption.

If you have access to FileMaker Server, use that as the host application (on a dedicated computer, NOT a file server). Server has built-in scheduled backup capabilities that safely makes backups to a local drive without having to disconnect users. This is preferable to Save a Copy which is available on the host machine using FileMaker Pro (or Pro Advanced).

oh, did not know that. glad you guys pointed it out for me before i set it up and caused major damage, phew.

So I guess what I am going to do it, make one of the four computers a host and installing FileMaker Server on that computer, mind you this computer will also be used daily for regular use, is that fine? Then use the backup option to back up a copy on to the file server.

Sounds better?

Thanks

A machine running FileMaker Server must only run filemaker server, you must also never install filemaker pro (the client) and filemaker server on the same machine. Corruption guarenteed.

What is actually proscribed here is that they should not be run at the same time.

Steven

here comes a newbie question: FileMaker server can only host a database? it cannot act as a server and simultaneously acts as a client (functions of filemaker advance)??

Reason being that I only have 4 computer and at the moment it is not viable for me go out and get another computer just to host filmmaker server.

Any was to make this work with just 4 computers and a file server??

Thanks

Thx you sir for the answer.

So, how do I solve this problem?

I only have 4 computer and at the moment it is not viable for me go out and get another computer just to host filmmaker server. Any ways to make this work with just 4 computers and a file server??

There will be one single database file and accessed by 4 computers simultaneously. Also, backing up for this single database file would be necessary too.

Edited by Guest

It seems strange that you can afford all that software, but not a few hundred dollars for a used computer to be a dedicated server.

You can use FileMaker Pro (or Pro Advanced) to host to up to 5 other computers, but it won't have the automated backups. In that setup, one of the workstation has the files on its hard drive and opens and shares the file using FileMaker's built-in Sharing. Then the other workstations connect to that using File->Open Remote (or an opener file).

BTW: FileMaker Pro Advanced is really only needed for the developer, client workstations should have regular FileMaker Pro. That's a good chunk of change you could be saving right there.

The reason I have access to all these version of software is because the previous business went bankrupt and they left all these software so it came with the business. Since, I have some experience (about 4-5 years ago) with FileMaker we decided to use it. We are tight on the budget after the purchase and trying to be resourceful.

Getting back to the problem, so I can install FileMaker Pro Advance on one of the 4 computer and lets other 3 access the database file from the 4th computer, simultaneously the 4th computer can also access/edit/add/delete the same database file on its hard drive??

I guess for the backup, I can set the file server backup software to back the drive up daily.

Sounds like a viable plan?

Edited by Guest

Getting back to the problem, so I can install FileMaker Pro Advance on one of the 4 computer and lets other 3 access the database file from the 4th computer, simultaneously the 4th computer can also access/edit/add/delete the same database file on its hard drive??

I guess for the backup, I can set the file server backup software to back the drive up daily.

This is pretty much a prescription for poor performance and for significant damage to the files if the backup runs while they are open. I would avoid this scenario.

If you're going to run this is peer-to-peer mode (i.e. without FileMaker Server), then be sure to dedicate a workstation to the purpose of hosting the file. Don't use that workstation for anything else. And you don't need FileMaker Pro Advanced; the regular version of FileMaker Pro will do this.

Steven

Have you tried the Instant Web Pubishing?

FMP has come a long way in 4-5 years, especially in IWP. This way you only need ONE licence for FMP, but your database will need to be designed within some IWP limitations in mind.

• Newbies

We just bought 5 licenses yesterday, without Server because FileMaker told us we didn't need server, that we can run peer to peer without it just fine.

From your last post, it appears that you are saying if we don't dedicate one computer to Filemaker and Filemaker alone, we will risk poor performance and data degradation. Is this correct?

I want to be able to access one database file living on one computer from any of our 5 computers, and have the hard drive backed up at night, while no one is using the database. FileMaker says this will work fine, are they wrong?

From your last post, it appears that you are saying if we don't dedicate one computer to Filemaker and Filemaker alone, we will risk poor performance and data degradation. Is this correct?

Correct.

I want to be able to access one database file living on one computer from any of our 5 computers, and have the hard drive backed up at night, while no one is using the database. FileMaker says this will work fine, are they wrong?

The FileMaker file must be open and set to allow network access or IWP access for this to occur. And when the drive is backed up, the file must be closed and FileMaker Pro not be running.

This can all be done by scripting at the OS level. But it is a little tricky.

Steven

One alternative would be to host your files with a provider like us:

http://www.pointinspace.com/

We provide all the server hardware, licenses, maintenance and backup so you don't have to worry about such.

As long as your network connection is at least Cable/DSL or better, you should generally see 95% of the usual performance as when hosted on your local LAN. In fact, the difference between hosting on FMSA (remotely) versus plain FileMaker Pro (locally) may easily make up any network speed/latency differences as well.

Note all of our accounts include a 30 day trial with them, so you can even try out said solution risk-free.

- John

This topic is 6473 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.