Read & Write on a PC

D.M. Wrider

This topic is 6226 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I created a simple FileMaker runtime application for someone to keep addresses handy. I usually work on a Mac, but they have a PC, so I built it on a PC and created the runtime.

On a Mac, I know where to go to make the file writeable - otherwise my clients can't modify the records. I "get info" on the file, and change the options to "Read & Write."

While on the PC this time, I couldn't find that option for the file. I'm not real familiar with PCs, so it's probably just somewhere I didn't know where to look.

The end result in this case was a runtime my client couldn't use. Oops. I still have the original file, so I need to go make it writeable so they can actually input data.

Anyone know where to go on a PC to change the file to Read & Write? Help! :o

All the upper level "folders" basically.

So if the file resides in

c:/whatever/runtime/blah/test.fp7

You should check each directory to see if it has a problem with write capabilities.

Okay...

Checked where the files were located. It looks like the only things that can't be Read & Write are folders themselves. Otherwise, all the files are writeable.

I can't figure out what went wrong... I created a database on this PC before, and that client had no problems at all. ...I don't know how, but could this be a user error on my client's end?

[edit]

My client said that when they tried to open the main file, nothing happened. They had to rightclick in order to find the database file... strange?

Edited by Guest

Can you elaborate on

My client said that when they tried to open the main file, nothing happened. They had to rightclick in order to find the database file... strange?

Also, if logged in as the administrator of the machine, I believe it should allow you to change the permissions of the folders as well.

Okay... with a fresh mind this morning, I tried troubleshooting again.

I opened the original disk I'd given to my client (on my Mac - I'd transfered the files from the PC to my Mac to burn the disc in the first place anyway), and took a look at the files from my Mac, since I know how to navigate better from here. Anyway, I found that the files were labeled as "No Access." On my Mac I changed the whole folder and all files to "Read & Write."

So... would this solve the problem on the PC too? The runtime is still bound for a PC, I just changed the access from my Mac. ...What do you think?

In a previous post, I talked about how a client of mine couldn't use a runtime I'd created because they didn't have access.

I changed all the files on my Mac to be "Read & Write," creating the access needed. I burned to a disc, they took the disc home, and once again, couldn't modify the database.

I'm really stumped on this one. Is it a Mac vs. PC thing? Do I need to rebind the whole thing on the PC and make sure all files are writable from there? (I thought they were in the first place!)

I feel badly for my client who's having to wait on me now, but I'm really clueless as to what to try next....

Any suggestions?

Here is what may seem like a stupid question but knowing end users you never know...

Is he trying to access the runtime from the CD directly or did he copy it to his hard drive first. If it is still on the CD, then of course it will only be Readable.

I just spoke with them - they said that yes, they had tried to open it from the CD - so that explains that part. (only the second time around did I tell them to put it on their computer...I had wondered if that was the case!)

Though they did say when they did try to put it on their computer, a warning came up, asking them if they wanted to save a Read Only file... should the warning be ignored?

Edit to above: They said that when they tried putting it on their computer, a warning came up for each individual piece in the file - indicating that everything was Read Only.... strange, when I put the same disc in my Mac, and everything is Read & Write! I'm completely stumped.

Update...

Talked to our resident tech guy and he didn't even have to think about it - he knew right away that my client needed to make the files Read & Write from their own computer. So...he talked with them directly to tell them how. I gave the disc back, so...third time's the charm? ???

I do appreciate all your thinking on this one - let's hope this case is closed!

Well there could be numerous factors but one could be that he has a CD-R drive and not a CD-RW drive.

Anyway, when the files are put on the CD, most of the time the files will become Read Only. Once he copies the files to the local Hard Drive, Windows should convert them to RWX. If not, then he can manually do it.

• 3 months later...

Dear DM,

I'm dealing with a similar issue, only my client is 3,000 miles away! What did your tech guys tell them to do; do you know? I need to tell my client the same thing, only they aren't real computer-savvy and are far away!

Answer if you get a chance! Thanks...

This topic is 6226 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.