Multiple value field on report?

D.M. Wrider

This topic is 6272 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I use a FM database to keep track of sales where I work. I also do the billing, and use an invoice template I created myself. On this template, there's a repeating field, "Item Description" where the items' names go. I can enter up to 20 items on one invoice.

I don't know how to report this data.

I keep running into problems because of the repeating value fields.

What I've ended up doing is importing the records into another similar file. I break them into individual records on import, then run a report from there. Since all records hold only one value, the report comes out accurate with summary fields.

Is there a simpler way to do this from the original file? Can I report repeating values with summary fields?

Yes, there is a simpler way: use a LineItems table where each item is a record. In addition, you'll never run into a circumstance where you have more than 20 items. End of problem. This is the main reason repeating fields aren't used to hold data; reporting becomes a problem. So, instead of breaking the repeaters apart when you want a report, break them apart to begin with (by never combining them). :wink2:

Man, I knew there was a ton of stuff I didn't know about FM yet! This one is gonna take a bit of brain work for me to grasp the idea - I'm getting there though.

Thanks for the thread references - a sample file is going to help I think.

The issue isn't urgent, so I'll take my time sorting it out. I'm sure there's something simpler than what I'm doing!

This is not so much as not knowing about FileMaker as it is database concepts. Have you gone through all the documentation that came with FM? There are some basic concepts there under the Electronic Documentation as well as the FM website.

Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, so I've been fooling with a database for over an hour now, and am feeling pretty dumb. I know there's a simple solution.

One of my problems is that everything I know has been self-taught, so I'm sure there's some things that I've done wrong. Originally, I was using a databse someone else had made - when my job outgrew it, I decided to create my own. But all I had to go on was FM's "help" and looking at the old databse, which wouldn't let me "define" anything because of access restrictions.

Anyway - I took a look at the one sample database in one of the topics you listed. I started getting the idea. But when I tried to create my own, I couldn't get it to work. I created new table, relationships and all... but I can't add records into the portal. I made a portal with fields from the other table, but it won't even let me click in them when in Browse mode. What on earth did I do? Is there FM help somewhere that would lay it all out for me? A book? Anything? lol

Well I would start with the FM Documentation and tutorial. If you do not have the tutorial or Docs, then you can download them on the FM website.

Also, the reason why you probably can not click into the fields is because in your Field control/Behavior for the field, you most likely have the Field to be enterable unchecked.

Thanks for the tips. You're always so quick to be helpful!

I'll search around for the documenation and tutorial - if I don't seem to have it, I'll go to the FM site.

As far as the fields in the portal goes, they are set to be entered in Browse and Find modes, so I still don't know what happened. Could it be a problem with my relationship table? That's the only thing I can come up with, though I thought I had that part right.

It's not big deal at the moment - I'm not in a hurry, and I'm functioning with reports quite well despite using multiple value fields instead. Though I do want to understand the process more fully.

Thanks.

This topic is 6272 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.