should i set up something before?

wiredhosting

This topic is 6261 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

wiredhosting, you might want to update your profile. Your crash sounds like out of memory but you need to provide more details - what is last windows Service Pack? OS, RAM etc. What version of Outlook? Have you tried reinstalling FM 8.5? Specifically, what error are you getting? Is it the blue screen of death or a Windows error message or "FM must close down?"

BTW -

Skill: Beginner

FSA: Associate

Seems quite strange - kinda like an oxymoron. :laugh2:

Edited by Guest

It sounds like you're meeting specs but you might check here System Requirements for 8.5

If you don't have Outlook, how were you going to email? You need to set up an email default program. I don't know what Preferences file is unless it's the Registry. But I've NEVER had to tweak the registry for FM and I wouldn't recommend it. Maybe Mac Preferences is same as a Win.ini file which MUST be configured properly (your email program will do it for you).

Still, FM shouldn't close down on you if no email client is found. Maybe others have ideas as well. ???

LaRetta

My experience with memory problems is that FMP just dies without any message.

Just out of curiosity, I tried sending out 200+ emails using File->Send....

My Thunderbird was closed but my internet connection up. Thunderbird opened but that's all. Apart from that - nothing.

Nothing was sent, no error messages, nuthin!

(FMP is very bad at reporting failures on Send email - it just doesn't report.)

Tried the same thing with Thunderbird open and it sent the lot.

Have you tried just sending a few emails to start with? Say 2 or 3?

Apart from this experience, I have had reasonably good results with scripted emailing.

You might find that your problem lies with the limits of email software--specifically, the size allowed in the TO part of the email. Although I haven't been able to get definitive information on this, it has been my experience that the various email programs appear to impose limits on this length, and stringing along 200 addresses might be beyond that arbitrary limit. There may also be filtering in place to prevent that many addresses on the TO line.

The workaround I use is to script the email, so that each person gets a separate message. This way, I can customize the output for each client (less spammy!), and I don't broadcast peoples' email addresses indiscriminately (more client confidentiality!). The downside on this is that Outlook has a "feature" that causes it to halt for five seconds when another program tries to use it to send messages. How annoying is that? I don't know whether there's a workaround for that...

David

Here's what FM Help has to say:

Note To send mail, you must have an Internet connection and the following configurations.

Windows:

A [Mail] section in the Win.ini file.

Microsoft Exchange or another email applications that is MAPI compliant installed and configured properly.

Mac OS:

Mac OS X Mail or Microsoft Entourage installed to send email with FileMaker Pro.

Internet system preferences configured for use with one of the supported mail applications.

Here's what FM Help has to say:

Note To send mail, you must have an Internet connection and the following configurations.

Windows:

A [Mail] section in the Win.ini file.

Microsoft Exchange or another email applications that is MAPI compliant installed and configured properly.

Mac OS:

Mac OS X Mail or Microsoft Entourage installed to send email with FileMaker Pro.

Internet system preferences configured for use with one of the supported mail applications.

i´m loving you! thank you so much i will try to make it work.

i have just aqquired Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 so i am on the go :

Thanks again T-Square

Edited by Guest

• 5 weeks later...

I am using:

Entourage 2004

OS X 10.4

FMP 8.5

It works - BUT...

It will not push the email message into a new email message window for review if "Perform without dialog" is not checked. You must check off "Perform without dialog for it to work at all.

In addition, Entourage has a security option that if checked will not allow the email to go out unless the user takes action. Entourage will pop up a message asking the user:

"A script is attempting to send a message.

Some scripts can contain viruses or otherwise be harmful to your computer, so its important to verify that the script was created by a trustworthy source. Do you want to send the message?"

If you want to turn this off this preference can be found under:

Preferences.../General/Security

"Warn before allowing an external application to send mail"

This topic is 6261 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.