need help defining relationships

Brainiac58

This topic is 6322 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Happy New year all! I've read the whitepaper for novices and went through the FM help & am designing my first database on paper before I create it.

I have a table called ShiftSuper that contains the shift supervisors first name, last name and employment anniversary date. I want to be able to create a performance report for shift supervisors that will give them data on their performance in specific areas, such as overtime management. I have a table called OTMonitor that includes field such as pay period ending date, overtime worked by the shift supervisor department (as a whole) during the pay period and overtime worked by line staff for the payperiod. I also have a table for overtime worked by individual supervisors for the pay period called OTMonitorIndiv. It also has fields for payperiod ending, the supervisors first & last names and OT hours worked for the payperiod.

If I want to be able to generate a report for an individual supervisor that gives them data on their individual OT and OT for the supervisor & line staff departments would I create a relationship between my ShiftSuper table and both the OTMonitor & OTMonitorIndiv and then edit the relationship as shown in the FM Pro help example here http://www.filemaker.com/help/07-Related%20files9.html?

Would making portals from the 2 OT tables on the ShiftSuper report layout be the way I get the OT data to display on the supervisor report?

To search by a range of dates (like their evaluation period or by a specific quarter)on the ShiftSuper table do I have to add a special field(s)? From looking at the FM Pro help, it looks like I need to add a "StartingDate" & "EndingDate" field to my ShiftSuper table. Are these just date fields?

Any advice to help this newbie would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

This topic is 6322 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.