6.0 Runtime: Can't open excel file

This topic is 6341 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This program imports data from an xls file and works perfectly well in the programming environment. Once compiled to the runtime version it can no longer open any xls file even the file that was used to develope it.

No "Error" is reported, simply a message stating that the file "abc.xls" can't be opened.

I suspect that I'm not including something in the Developer Tool process but thus far I can't identify the culprit.

(The same file still works fine in the programming environment).

Thanks, Dave

[email protected]

Looks like some of the external file formats get dropped in v6 runtimes.

I ran the import option in a native fp5 and it offers DBF, Excel, ODBC and XML. However all these options disappear in the runtime.

The nearest option would be WKS, the old Lotus file type. Excel should be able to export to WKS.

: : Thanks for the info - I think that my only out will be to obtain the file in a csv format. The difficulty lies in the fact that discrepancies in the worksheet are easy to spot but they will be much more difficult in the csv format and the source of the data tends to provide arbitrarily determined alterations to the data form. You and I won't have a problem but my customers are storekeepers - not gurus so my solution will not be "stand alone" but "stand alone with a little help" and my continued intervention. I'm just delighted that I was not depending on a facility the lack of which would be more difficult to overcome. (We might be related - Grandmother emigrated from your neighborhood about 100 years age). Thanks again - Dave

This topic is 6341 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.