Looking for version comparison table

This topic is 6276 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am looking for a table that lists every function and script step for the various compatible Filemaker versions.

So, one such table would be for FM 5.0, 5.5 and 6.0, another would be for 7.0, 8.0 and 8.5.

The tables would list the functions/script steps on the left as rows and the versions as columns.

The purpose of this would be to avioid using functions or script steps that the client's version does not support.

For example, I have several clients that use FM 5.0 and 5.5. I don't remember which functions and script steps that were introduced in 6.0, and so I may inadvertantly use them.

The same goes for the newer versions.

I have looked for some time for this, but have only found a general feature comparison at Filemaker.com. I need it to be at the function/script step level.

I hope anyone know of a source for something like this.

Cheers,

Andreas.

I see getting the lowest common denominator when deploying in a version mixed environment, the easiest way is to grap a client version of fm7 and start to develope on instead of the newer one, when it's done switch to the one with the debugger to trace you thru the scripts.

Main area a likely to be using recursive scripting instead of $ and $$ variables utilization, that means using the script paramter for all the temporary items, GetValue( is the other thing getting life easier, but then just make a CF emulating it's functionality.

But by and large should you pursuade the customer to upgrade to the newest, instead of having you wasting hours on circumvention's ...I had this issue with the save as PDF where plugins obviously exists, but the purchase and the time to dribble the problems involved easily outweight the price of a upgrade.

--sd

I used to have a chart that listed every script step and function difference between FileMaker 5, 5.5, and 6, and possibly 3 and 4, but I can't seem to find it at the moment. Does anyone remember what I'm talking about?

I recall that when I was developing in FileMaker 6, the main things I had to code around for earlier versions were Constrain/extend found set, and Show Custom Dialog script step. With FileMaker 8.5 it's named layout objects, with FileMaker 8 it's variables, tab objects, script results, extended GTRR and custom menus, just to name a few.

If you search www.FileMaker.com/kb for "script steps" or "functions" or "features" you'll find articles on old versions that should give you most if not all of what you need.

Thanks guys.

I also seem to remember such a table from many years ago. but can't find it either.

In fact, it was the Show Custom Dialog that tripped me up this time, as the client only had 5.5 and I did the work in 6.0 at the time:)

I will look further and see if I can find anything more. Seems to me it could be of interest to others too.

Cheers,

Andreas

I've actually called FMI regarding this; just to have for my own sanity but they said they did not have anything like it. I could have sworn I have seen a document a few years ago on all the functions with versions next them, including ones that were no longer supported, but I couldnt find it. It is strange that FMI doesnt have documentation that diplays a history of all their functions.

I've had my FMPug/FMForums Function Reference Chart posters up since DevCon, and I just noticed that they have the version compatibility numbers in tiny type under each function. Very cool. It would be great if they would turn the posters into a searchable database, hint, hint.

Haha,

Tom, what are the chances...

The ironic part about it was that I found out the same this morning too when I was moving my chart from one side of my cubicle to the other. lol. I was like, THAT is where I saw it!!!

I meant to post back on here, but I forgot.

They should charge FM to make the documentation, Since FM doesnt have one. Hint Hint.

Also wish that I could have a pdf copy so that I wouldnt have to flip it over. Hint Hint.

Hehe.

Well I still would like FMI to produce a full documentation on all the functions; currently existing and retired alike. While the Chart is great, it only shows you the active functions and what versions they are supported in. I personally feel that FMI should have some sort of documentation on all of them. As stated earlier, I am surprised that they do not have one.

I totally agree.

The best would of course be a FM database with every function and script step in history including version compatibility and name changes, description, deprecation and so on.

I should think FM have something like that for internal use.

Heck, I'd even pay for it. ;)

• 1 month later...

I actually found the old table that I remembered. I suspect that this is the one Mr. Vodka refers to as well.

It was a function chart with all functions from version 3 to version 6 and I am pretty sure it was made by ISO productions.

I have written to Matt Petrowsky asking him if he would consider making a new similar table for the newer versions, although the new function chart does go a long way towards this goal.

However, in the ISO chart you just needed to glance at the table to see what functions you had to be careful not to use when using older versions. Very handy.

Cheers,

Andreas

EDIT: And yes, the old chart also included a complete script step comparison chart between version 3 to 6.

Edited by Guest

Ahhh maybe that is where it was. I have had an ISO subscription for some time now. Thanks for pursuing this Andreas. Please report back if you find any further info.

Thanks.

This topic is 6276 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.