Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Back and Forward Buttons [Finished-FM7+]

This topic is 6092 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Solution / : Back and Forward Buttons

Description: An example file that will show developers how to add backward and forward buttons into their FileMaker solution similar to what you would find in a web browser.

As always let me know what you think.

Working Under:

Solution Status: Finished

Pre-requisites:

Author(s): Genx

Date: 01/16/07

Credits:

Instructions / Other Info: It's been documented to some extent in the tool tips so...

Put together in 8 but I'm pretty sure i didn't use anything non FM 7 compatible.

Ignore the new script it doesn't do anything, that was just me forgetting to remove something.

Disclaimer:

FM Forums does not endorse or warrantee these files are fit for any particular purpose. Do not post or distribute files without written approval from the copyright owner. All files are deemed public domain unless otherwise indictated. Please backup every file that you intend to modify.

backAndForward.zip

Edited by Guest

• 7 months later...

Hey Genx:

Question for you. I've been playing with this since 9 Am. It's after 8 PM my time. Let me try to explain my problem. My app basically does not close windows. I freeze the current window, open a new window and go back by closing the current window. Problem is sometimes I'd like to go back past the last window. Your solution brings you back to the correct layout, but in the wrong window.

I've tried to set the Get(Layoutnumber) to Get(Windowname). No luck. I tried getting fancy with If statements and with variables. No luck. I would appreciate any tips you might suggest.

TIA,

Al

Basically, I don't close any windows. They are all frozen. We work off of a main contacts screen and go off from there depending on what we are trying to do. But we always come back to the main contact screen. The problem is sometimes from contact we go to "Company Filter to see if a company already exists. From there we go to the company screen to see if that's the one we want. We any even look at the jobs that company has given us, blah, blah.

I had a button that just closed all open windows and brought us back to the contact screen, but, people want to be able to back out.

With your solution (Which is quite nice, btw) it just leaves the window open. That's when we will have Toooo many open windows.

I guess we are half way there. It's opening new windows or taking you back in new windows. So I get Contacts - 2, Contacts - 3. What I need it to do is close the current window and return to the previous window.

So:

(Window names) usually denotes the layout as well.

Contacts>Company Filter>CompanyDB>

Contacts>Company Filter>

Contacts>

We aren't creating a new window. We are only creating a new window if the window was previously closed.

The back window script does close the current window if its not equivalent to the layout in the next "back step".

Edited by Guest

I changed the new script: Works fine until we get to Contacts page. If I inadvertently click the back button it requests I select a layout. When I click Ok it closes the Contacts window and switches to my closing script which makes a backup of the DB and closes FM. :)

CheckWindowBackward.jpg

... why are you closing 2 windows?

The whole idea is this:

1) If the next "back" entry doesn't have the same window name, close the current window

2) Select the window for the next back entry.

3) If it couldn't find the window and an error was returned open the appropraite window.

Where as you are saying:

1) If the next "back" entry doesn't have the same window name, close the current window

2) Select the window for the next back entry.

3) If it couldn't find the window and an error was returned close the current window for no reason.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.