This topic is 6279 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello,

im new to filemaker.

i can create the data bases i require ok but need a bit of push in right direction to accomplish the following:

customer enters his data in his own data base(contains data regarding deliveries required etc )which only he can see and alter ,this is then to be transferred to a main d/b which is to be availble for all to see but in no way alter the data,

i know this may be complex but some pointing in right direction would be appreciated

thank you

kwlkshift - I'm also a newbie with FM, but I think I can help. If I understand you correctly you want to have one view where the user could enter their data, then another where the data would be displayed but not edited? Is this correct? If so, how is this database being run? Meaning: are there going to be multiple users?

I think what your looking for is two tables and one using a portal to show information from the first table, but limiting the edit options in the second view.

Again, I'm a newbie so this may be wrong. Can you let me know if this is what you're looking to do?

Also, can you post what you have for this currently?

It sounds like what you need is what is known as "record-level access restrictions." Which is set in the Accounts & Privileges, in the Records: area. First choose: Custom Privileges, which pops up a whole window of more options. One of the drop-downs is for Edit (of each table). You would set it to a calculation:

CreatedBy = Get ( AccountName )

In the above case "CreatedBy" is a text field, with the auto-enter Option, Creation: Account Name

Get (AccountName) is the name of the currently logged in Account. You have to have an Account for each of the customers. The creation of the account can be scripted.

You would likely want to, as JB2 says, create an interface where the above is checked before flipping to a layout where the data can be entered or edited. But in my opinion, interface navigation is not enough, not if you take "only he can alter" seriously. You also need record-level access restriction to be sure.

I know that sounds like a lot to do. Perhaps beyond the current knowledge of a beginner. But learning the basics of Accounts & Privileges is something you will need in your FileMaker development sooner rather than later.

The only tedious part of the above is creating many Accounts. But it can be scripted, and there are example files here, in the Sample Files area. There may be a sample file showing Edit record-level access restriction.

Hello,

thank you for your reply.

I believe I may have bitten of a bit more than I can chew here being a newbie tho im not computer illiterate.

The version of filemaker im using is the 30 day trial period one.

On entering accounts and priveleges I cannot see any offer to customise anything it only lists the default + one I have named cust.priveleges are only the default ones and extended priveleges list 6 options mainly related to web or networking no custom option appears.

The accounts in the working version if I ever get there, will number around 400 and I am assuming I will be able to individually password protect each one.

thank you

jacky

Hello JB2,

Thank you for the reply.

The system is mainly aimed at the transportation/courier business.

customers (many) will enter their company details etc on a seperate data base then with only an ID code identifying them enter there consignment details on the main consignment data base which will be availble to all with alterations not being allowed.

The obvious problem here is in allowing the company to list its details on an restricted access d/base

jacky

This topic is 6279 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.