Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Page counter

This topic is 8651 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have a counter database that is incremented by creating a new record whem the page I need to count is linked (default.htm). It's working fine that way. However, whem the page I need to be counted is bookmarked, the counter does not increment anymore.

My question is How can I increment the counter from the counted page which is also using a database (FM Pro).

<html><head>

<title>Counter</title></head>

<body bgcolor="white">

<center>

<li><a href="http://192.168.0.133/kpg-msds/FMPro?-DB=Counter&-format=default.htm&-error=errors.htm&-new">

<font face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">

Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS)</a></font></center>

</body></html>

[This message has been edited by Joe (edited August 31, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Joe (edited August 31, 2000).]

Me being picky: the page counter creates a new record each time the link is *clicked on* not "linked" as you stated in the original post. Also, a bookmark shouldn't affect this... unless the people bookmark the page they get *after* this link is clicked. Then their bookmark will be bypassing your page counter.

In which case, you are knackered. Unless you use the FMP activity log to generate your page stats, they will always work regardless.

I just had a thought for a solution, though it could be a bit complex. How about if the page counter system generated a cookie whenever it worked (a cookie that only lasts the current session). Now, reproduce the counter routine at the top of each page in a IF conditional--if the cookie doesn't exist then count the hit and greate the cookie, otherwise don't count the page. This will catch most people no matter where they bookmark.

[This message has been edited by Vaughan (edited August 31, 2000).]

• Newbies

Thank you for the tip but it is not working yet. The cookie part works fine. However, how do I increment the counter from the targeted page whem a cookie is not present in that page . I can not use a submit button nor an anchor tag. This page is using a different database to find records.

Please help.

This topic is 8651 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.