Server Maintenance This Week. ×

This topic is 5098 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi!

Has anyone implemented a barcode reader with fm. on Mac OSX. I am looking to:

1. input barcode info into a field into a "products" table, associated with a record -

2. capture a barcode at POS and input that product into an order with the least amount of hassle (keystrokes) and deduct 1 from our "products" "instock" field after an order is closed...

3. on the fly capture and deduction from inventory with the minimum of keystrokes (sell a cash product---deduct 1 from "products" "instock" field .

Are there great differences in reader abilities/function?

Many thanks

Chas

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Graham,

How do you negotiate the scanner to the "right" place in app?

Do you run a script manually like (cmd-1);)

go to proper layout

go to appointed field

##input Metrologic scanner data (trigger)

run another script like (cmd -2)

to :"add to order"

Or can you program this functionality into a the reader....(I have to use whatever existing barcodes are printed on the products for resale...can't reprint these)

Chas

• 3 weeks later...

It depends on your application. Most scanners can be programmed to include a prefix or suffix character(s) such as CR, LF or tab. I have mine set to a CR. I either use a script to go to and select the right field, or I use a custom or Troi input dialog box (the CR suffix will trigger the default dialog button).

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what I've found out so far...

I got a Peninsula scanner from these guys .

Works fine....

You program the scanner prefix/suffix with barcode sequences from a manual supplied by these guys.

I had a script ready to take me to the right layout and field.

I made sure that script was the first script in the menu (cmd-1)

So now I was ready to program the scanner to:

1. send (cmd - 1) - the prefix

2. (slow the scanner down for FM to catch up - also in the manual- input the scan into a field

3. CR (to finish)

This works fine....and it does not really depend on FM version because the scanner prefix/ suffix triggers the scripts (cmd-"n")

However...when all was said and done..Its really just fine to just set up the scan with a manual (cmd-1) scan and enter(or CR) because for my application we run maybe 60 or 70 sales a day.

And...if you hardcode the scanner, you can't use it to enter data into your db.

• 2 weeks later...

Chas:

It sounds like you're on the right path, but hardcoding the scanner is a mistake. For tasks that are repeated often, I would set up a sheet of script-trigger barcodes (i.e., barcodes that will send cmd-1, cmd-2, etc., to trigger the scripts in the script menu). This way you can navigate the user to the correct field/layout, and prompt them in the layout as to what they should do next.

For example, you could have a laminated sheet of these barcodes next to the scanning machine. For the barcode to initiate a sale (cmd-1, for example) you could have 'Sale' printed on it. They scan that, and it takes them to a layout that says 'scan the item barcode' and puts the cursor into the proper field and waits for the barcode to be scanned. You could then have a 'Finish Sale' barcode, an 'Add an Item' barcode, etc., to smooth the process along.

-Stanley

Hi Stanley,

Your idea is exactly what I'm trying to do (I already have script steps in place - ctrl-1, ctrl-2), but I don't know how to have my scanner to do a "CTRL-1" (or "CMD-1")... that's my delemna. I have an Adesso USB Scanner - it seems pretty nice, but it's difficult to find out how to do that - I've been waiting for the manufacturer to get back to me on this. Any ideas (maybe there's a common way that all scanners can do this)?

Thanks,

Russ

• 1 year later...

This is what exactly what I want to do with my scanner, but...

I was told today that code 128 has not bar code for command-1. Is this true?

If you got your scanner to input a ctrl command I would be very interested in hearing how?

chuck

Chuck & Chas:

It depends on your setup. I use HHP 3800 series scanners in a number of solutions, on both Mac and Windows, and the way I do script automation is to print out barcodes which read as cmd-1 (or ctrl-1) and so-on, to trigger scripts. Those barcodes get put up on the workstations and clearly labeled for the users. They scan the code and the script fires.

If I remember right, the scanners had to be programmed to accept the codes for cmd/ctrl; I will look it up in my docs if there is still interest.

-Stanley

stanley:

Interesting. That is what I want to do, but I was told by the vender that there is no bar code for cntl-1 etc.

What bar code font are you using--code39 or code128?

Is it possible you can send me a jpg of your cntr1 bar code. I would love to see it will read as that. If so, you have solved my problems!!!

If you can post to this location--Subject: Calling a script--Methods other than Cntl+1 (Topic#195571) I would be grateful. I don't want to hijack this subject.

Thanks

Chuck, Chas & Russ:

Here is a sample of cmd-6 done in the 3 of 9 Barcode font, which we use with the HHP 3800 reader, which can be programmed to accept cmd/ctrl. The font is (I believe) freely available.

-Stanley

example.pdf

Stanley:

Thank you. I figured out the problem. It appears that barcode fonts do not have a ctrl-1,cntrl-2, etc.

The reason it works for you is because of the scanner. I did some research on the HHP 3800 and your scanner has a special function build into the scanner called Keyboard Modifiers. This allows the scanner to read a certain barcode and then convert it to Ctrl-1.

Anyway, I am returning my sc5USB for the HHP 3800G.

This will give me the ability to scan a bar code, like your example, and the scanner to convert it to Ctrl-1. Now, File Maker Script can run and away I go. I think I need to set the scanner to postfix a TAB so after entry PRODUCT it will move to next field QTY. Then put a bar code up for the Enter(Return Key) and it should work.

:

Chuck:

Glad to have helped you to figure out a solution. You may find that you need to separate out some work into separate scans, as FileMaker can sometimes not keep up with the scanner (which is essentially just an insanely fast typist.)

-Stanley

Stanley:

If I can ask how many field do you scan? Also how big is you product number?

For me I have two fields that I have to scan--Product and Qty.

Any tips for writing the script you can share? Did you program the scanner to PostFix a TAB to move to the next field?

Thanks again for all your help. Why vendor don't have these answer is beyond me.

Chuck

Chuck:

I stick to barcoding key fields for the most part, then any other needed info can (hopefully) be drawn from the database. The length of the key field in question has to be controlled pretty carefully in the case of printed labels, so that it is both readable by the scanner and fits on the label/printout.

When launching scripts via barcodes, I have usually had a Go To Field [] statement to take the user to the right field; then you can have a Pause [] for them to scan whatever data it is they need to scan in. You can trap for a user failing to actually scan anything by following the Pause [] with something to check if the field in question is empty or not. If you append an 'enter' (not a carriage return) you can escape from the Pause[] with your data.

For quantity, I usually have the user either enter it manually, or have them scan the label multiple times. Up to you. Think about how it works in a grocery store, and you'll be most of the way there.

-Stanley

Thanks for the feedback. I will take all the above into consideration when I program. For now, I will wait for my Scanner. After I receive it I will probably have a couple of questions. But I want to thank you again for the input and help. I have been fighting with this for the past couple of weeks. It nice to see some light at the end of a tunnel.

• 1 year later...
  • Newbies

That bit of info is a massive help, thanks for that. Been racking my brain for a way to get around this problem for ages! And now finally I can actually start producing some Barcode Labels. I did find a nice article on it which gave me help aswell: http://forums.thomasnet.com/viewtopic.php?t=62290

Hope this might help too

This topic is 5098 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.