Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Link to related record from portal

This topic is 8627 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

There appears to be a lot of good feedback on this board so I'm hoping someone can help me out. Currently using Filemaker 4.0.

I am trying to link to a related record contained within a portal. I would like the user to be able to click on the portal record which would then take them to a new web page showing the related record. I have tried the following code with no luck:

[FMP-portal: Certifications]

<A HREF=[FMP-linkrecid: format=cert_edit.htm, layout=form_view]>[FMP-field: Certifications::Cert_Name]</A><BR>

[/FMP-portal]

I am able to link to related records within Filemaker but I have been unable to accomplish this so far on the web.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

JM

[This message has been edited by JM (edited September 22, 2000).]

Hey-

I don't exactly have a solution for your problem, but I do think that I know why the link you are using doesn't work. When FM substitutes tags, it does so only from the current database...in your suggested link...

[FMP-portal: Certifications]

<A HREF=[FMP-linkrecid: format=cert_edit.htm, layout=form_view]>[FMP-field: Certifications::Cert_Name]</A><BR>

[/FMP-portal]

the FMP-linkrecid tag is replacing the record id with the record id from the current db, not the db you are relating to through the portal. You might want to try creating a calculation field with the related db the stores the "CurrentRecordID" and then substitute that information through the portal. Hope this helps.

Jeff

Thanks!

Passing a token and using your suggestion about a calculation field worked. For the benefit of others who might hav the same problem, here is how I did it:

1. Created a calc field in both databases with the "Status (CurrentRecID)" calculation.

2. Used the following code in database1 (contains the portal):

[FMP-portal: Certifications]<A HREF="FMPro?-db=Certification_Types.fp3&-format=cert_edit.htm&-lay=form_view&-token=[FMP-field: Rec_ID]&-recid=[FMP-field: Certifications::Rec_ID]&-find">[FMP-field: Certifications::Cert_Name]</A><BR>[/FMP-portal]

*Passed token equalling record id from database1

*Passed recid equalling record id within the portal

*I can select any of the values in the portal and link directly to the related record in database2.

2. Used the following code in database2 to return to the original record from database1:

<A HREF="FMPro?-db=Specification_Types.fp3&-format=spec_edit.htm&-lay=form_view&-recid=[FMP-Currenttoken]&-find">Specification</A>

Thanks again for the help!

JM

[This message has been edited by JM (edited September 25, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by JM (edited September 25, 2000).]

This topic is 8627 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.