Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Insert key & Programming Custom menu's on a Mac

Spamhugger

This topic is 6255 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I need to help our Filemaker designer with some new function in Filemaker 8. He's designing the database on a Macintosh computer, and it is using custom menus. However...

The ability to cut, copy, and paste by using the keys Shift-Delete, Ctrl-Insert, and Shift-Insert don't work with custom menu's when the database is accessed from a PC. Since he design's everything from a Mac, he does not know how to program in any feature that uses the Insert key.

Can anyone give him some hints on how to program this from his Mac? So far he's just given up and doesn't think it can be done. (Hence why I am posting here)

Hi Mr. V.

I think I messed you up. This was posted to Custom Functions, before I moved it here. And I believe that the whole problem is based on a key combination chosen by the developer guy.

Why a developer would change the combinations away from what is native to FileMaker, is beyond me. However, I'm a little surprised that the Mac ones worked for all of the office, as the Insert Key does not appear on my iBook.

My recommendation is that the Developer uses the common Key Combinations as shown in the Online Help under Reference, for both Machines.

HTH

Lee

Edited by Guest
clean up

• Newbies

Some of out people are old computer users, and they still use Shift-Delete, Ctrl-Insert, and Shift-Insert for cut, copy, and paste. This is the original way PCs handled it before Ctrl-X, Ctrl-C, & Ctrl-V became implemented. Every other program in Windows, except Filemaker 8.5 with custom menus, works with the original Shift-Delete, Ctrl-Insert, and Shift-Insert keys. A lot of our users are very set in their ways, and telling them just to switch the way they copy & paste is not working over here. Especially since this problem didn't occur until Filemaker 8.5, and now they are screaming to downgrade back to Filemaker 7.

Our Filemaker programmer insists on using custom menus to keep users from the ability to delete all records. I've told him to check the help file about how to adjust the keys, but he just looks puzzled about what that's going to do for him.

So this is where I am stuck trying to get things to work. The employee's want Ctrl-Insert, and the programmer wants custom menus - and the two of them just aren't mixing.

You should also look at Dacons Menu Control, since it will allow you to built a completely customized menu, with a right-mouse click menu. Note that Secure Menu and Menu Control are not compatible, and are completely different products.

Steve

Hi Steve,

This may have changed with the newer version of Dacon's Menu Control, but from what I remember when I used the older ones, weren't the modifier keys limited to Ctrl and Alt?

This topic is 6255 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.