Open hidden files and have them stay open

This topic is 6275 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi I have a script that opens 15 dbs as hidden files. The script is in one non-hidden navigational db. There I have a fields that give me list of all the layouts in every hidden db. From that list I have set of fields that get values from the list of layouts, each field has one layout name. Over ezch of those fields I attached a simple script to open the that db and go the specified layout. It works fine so far, it opens the db and goes wherever it has to go, but as soon as I close the db window the list of layout filed loses the data showed earlier and the scripts are not working anymore. It might be that how the filemaker works, but can someone answers why it works that way only for some of the dbs and not for all. In my case, if I close some of the windows the database stays open and hidden, and for some of them when the window closes the db does the same too. Why? Any help or thoughts?

I've got a solution to this problem that might help someone.

What I did was I established a file references to all the dbs I need to keep open as hidden in the main db. Than I set a dummy layout in the same db, and establish relationships to all related dbs (I used an auto enter field which has value of 1, since I have that field as a must have field in every db I create). Once I set those related auto enter fields in the dummy layout, job was done.

Whenever I open the main db, I have an opening script that goes to the dummy layout, and swiches after that to the main layout of the main db (that is only if you want to keep those layouts separated). Once you open the db it wil ask you for a password, which will be used to open all the related dbs in the dummy layout. That is usefull if you have 15 dbs to open, it will ask you for password once, instead 15 times (of course, you have to have same password for the main and the rest of the dbs). In my main layout I have calc fields which are getting the layout names from the list of layouts field and by clicking on the yuo get transfered to that spec. layout. What I had as problem before was that as soon I close the window of that db, it closes the db and closes the layout reference list. Now that is not an issue anymore. I hope thius helped someone with simmilar problem.

This topic is 6275 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.