Portal Grouping Problem

seedthrower

This topic is 5008 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

So, first time posting, hope this is the correct format.

Here's the problem I'm running into. I've got a members table that that has the fields member ID, Member Name.

I've got a events table with the fields event ID, Event Name

I've got a registration table with the fields registration ID, Member ID, Event ID

Basically what the Registration Table does is register a member for an event via a pull-down menu that pulls data from value lists created from the Member Name and Event Name.

Problem is coming when I want to create a portal that groups all the members that belong to a specific event together. If you can help, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Edited by Guest

Hi. Welecome to the forums.

You want to create a summary report that is grouped by event ID. You can put the related member Name field on the report.

If you only want it for a specific event. Perform a find for that particular event, ( or from the event you can use Go to Related Record to get the related records from the registration table ) and then you can run a report.

• Newbies

Thanks for your help! Is there a thread or tutorial somewhere that you can direct me to so that I can learn how to do the summary report and not have to be spoon-fed?

(although, I've been working on this problem for the last two weeks, so maybe spoonfeeding is what I need.)

Thanks!

I want to create a portal that groups all the members that belong to a specific event together.

A portal showing records from Members, placed on a layout of Events will do that. The same could be achieved by a portal to Registrations, with the Name field from Members placed in the first portal row (assuming no member registered for the same event twice).

Your file is very confusing. Why do you have TWO auto-entered ID fields in the main tables? One of them is called global, but it isn't a global field. The word 'global' has a very specific meaning in Filemaker.

But the main problem seems to be this: when registering a person for an event, you are entering the person's NAME instead of his/her ID. Your value list should be based on the ID field.

I am attaching a basic demo of a join table. See if you can adapt it to your needs.

JoinDemo.fp7.zip

• 3 weeks later...
  • Newbies

I just wanted to say thanks for helping me figure this out. It took me a couple of weeks to redo the database like you suggested, but you were completely right, this works so much better.

I've got the registrations working the way they should, so thanks for the advice!

So now all I'm trying to do is figure out how to show only the people that are registered for a specific event and I'll have it!

I posted another topic, so thanks!

• 1 year later...

Comment,

Thanks very much for the join demo. I've been looking at my DB from every angle trying to figure out why the logic wasn't working. I couldn't add data to my portal fields. It turns out that the field settings were fine, but the Portal settings were overriding them. Thanks to your demo, I'm back in business.

Many Thanks,

John

• 6 months later...
  • Newbies

Hi,

I read your message and post JoinDemo and found it interesting. I have a similar configuration (with Employees and Training tables).

I used to program MySQL tables under Delphi and I'm new to Filemaker.

Starting with your example, I would like the user to select the organisation (in the user pannel) without having to deal, and even see, the organisationID, that is click on the organisation field and have the drop down list apprear without IDs, but still store only the ID in the affiliation DB, not the full name.

Would you have a suggestion ?

You can change the value list to show only values from the second field (it is recommended to validate the second field for 'unique' in such case).

Then change the field to a pop-up.

For more advanced alternatives, see:

http://fmforums.com/forum/showpost.php?post/233897/

http://fmforums.com/forum/showpost.php?post/300477/

• 11 months later...

Your example is very good and answers most of my questions.But i have one question, in the Contacts layout how are you able to make the portal's next line editable.I mean once the first line is edited , how does the second line in the portal appear? , i am using filemaker pro 10, and i am not able to do that...

• 2 months later...

Hello Comment,

I also just came across this demo file created some time ago by yourself; I believe I can utilize it once a question is hopefully answered: on the organization layout, when you are assigning a new contact to an organization using the contact ID dropdown, is there a quick/easy way to filter the contact ids when you may have potentially 500+ clients? Scrolling through 500 or so clients using a dropdown menu is somewhat onerous =)

Any thoughts on how to resolve this potential problem?

TIA

Jack

This topic is 5008 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.