Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Format Merge Field Number

Drew Sanderson

This topic is 6019 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a number in a number field that is for US Dollars. How do I format the number to display as a merge field with two decimal places. If it is possible to have it do the dollar sign as well that would be great but I can just preceed the field with a typed in dollar sign.

Thanks,

Drew

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for taking the time to make me a sample file. I see how it works... My problem must involove something that is throwing that off. I have yet to figure that out since I was able to make it work in other areas.

Thanks again for taking the time!

Drew

• 5 months later...

For Drew_S (if he is still around)or those who got here by searching "merge" (as I was):

The thing is that you can choose easily the format when the merge field is alone, with no text else either before and after it. But when it is in the middle of text, you are not able to select a format (they are dimmed); what I have experienced is that before you type or insert the merge field,and without selecting ANYTHING, you have to choose the format you will need for the merge field in the Format menu. After that, FM assigns the format you need.

Tks.

The way it works is that the number/date/time formats are applied to the entire text object that contains the merged field/s. If the text object is selected, you can format it - otherwise the default format (the one selected with no layout object being active) is applied.

See also:

http://www.fmforums.com/forum/showpost.php?post/191506/

This topic is 6019 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.