Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Define a fields contents as a custom menu item

This topic is 6210 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This maybe out of the question but I was wondering if there is a way to use a field's contents as a custom menu list.

The idea I had in mind was to have in my database a custom menu called "web links" - I have a table with a list of website URLs and when a new website address is added in the "websites" table , it would automatically appear under the web links menu, then switch to a layout with a webview in it.

Any ideas would be welcome.

thanks

You can dyanmically name a menu item with a field's value but I dont think that you can create a menu based off a set of records. I dont think this is possible even with a plugin.

Interesting concept Stuart, but it still wouldnt be dynamic because one would still have to manually create each menu item. What happens if records are added. I like your method though. :) Also what is the extend () for?

opps first version that i did was with a repeating field forgot to remove this.

Its dynamic in so much as it updates dynamically.

But as it is not currently possible to dynamically create Menubar items i see no reason why deciding how many to display is not a good alternative.

Personally i would not want to leave myself open to a Menubar Submenu with an unlimited number of records displayed upon it. (as in the requested example). I'd probably limit my recent history to about 30 as at that point you may as well just be looking at the table itself.

I can think of a million applications for dynamically created menu items. Just don't think the requested method would be a good idea even if it was possible in the current version of FMP.

My users have thousands of websites in there databases.

Just a thought.

This topic is 6210 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.