Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Using VB or VBS to interact w runtime

MSPJ

This topic is 6204 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi - I've seen several topics related to this, but none quite answered my questions - hoping someone won't mind taking the time.

I have a runtime that will be distributed protected by Software Passport (armadillo). However, I'd like a way to make sure someone didn't just re-create the runtime from the database file.

The way to do this seems to be to check for environment strings set by Software passport. These can be retrieved by some simple basic code. The question then is now to a) run this simple code from a FM Runtime, and :B trigger a script in the runtime depending on whether the correct environment strings are found.

It sounds like I can use the Send Events command to run the compiled basic program, but it sounds like I may not be able to run a script from an external basic program because of the runtime limitations. Is that correct? If so, can anyone suggest a way I could communicate between this environment-checking app and the FM runtime? Maybe by creating some kind of file dependent on the result? But then how do I check for the existence of that file from the runtime?

There must be a way to do this, but I can't quite get my way there.

Thanks much,

Michael

:B trigger a script in the runtime depending on whether the correct environment strings are found.

Yeah, not going to happen. The FileMaker runtime doesn't support ActiveX so there's no way to interact with it through VBScript.

On a different note, you could either a) Take a look at this plugin: www.grokittools.com which lets you execute vbscript directly from FM and get the result back (fairly cheap too)...

Or, you can use import to check the existance and contents of your file...

This topic is 6204 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.