Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Portal Auto Data Return

This topic is 6203 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have a contact table and a conference table. Both have serial # IDs attached to their records. I am trying to make a portal on the Contact layout to allow me to make a list of the conferences that a specific contact has attended. In my portal table I have a drop down list that lists all of the conferences. Once a user selects a conference from the list, I want the start date and end date to be included automatically into the table (the dates can be found in the conference table). How do I do this?

I am assuming that you have a join table between contacts and conferences, "Attendance".

Contacts <->>Attendance

__kP_Contact ID <-->> _kF_ContactID

Attendance<<->Conference

_kF_ConfID <<-> __kP_ConfID

Attendance Table

__kP_AttendanceID

_kF_ContactID

_kF_ConfID

On Contacts, your portal is to the Attendance table. Allow for records to be created in the relationship. Format the ConfID field to be a popup with a value list of Conferences (ID-Name) showing only the second field (name).

Finally, just add the start and end date to the portal row, turning off entry in Browse mode.

Edited by Guest
Added Attendance Table Fields

• Newbies

I followed the steps for relating the table and creating the portal, but it still won't enter the dates automatically. I tried adding the date fields by creating new fields and then placing them in the portal, and I also tried adding them using the Portal wizard dilogue boxes. They are linked to the Conference table. I turned off data entry in the browse mode for the date fields. This obviously is not the right way to be doing it, since it doesn't work. What did I do wrong?

This topic is 6203 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.