Wrapping Text in Body of Letter

Lorraine

This topic is 6175 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am creating a layout which is a letter. Most of the letter is fixed text but part of it is variable text entered by the user. I never know how long the variable text will be. I have tried every combination of sliding and merging that I can think of to get the fixed text to merge with the variable text but I don't know how to get text (variable or fixed) to wrap to the next line (or slide up and merge with the previous line) if it does not fit on the current line. Can anybody help? I have been working on this for days and I'm out of ideas. I'm relatively new to FileMaker so I am hoping someone can clue me in on what I am missing. Thanks.

In the following text the underlined stuff is the variable text the user can key in. It can be any length. So it can end in the middle of a line. But I have the variable field on the layout expanded to the end of the line in case it is longer than just 1/2 the line (otherwise longer text gets truncated). Then I start the fixed text (starting with 'wherein')at the beginning of the next line. I made the fixed text a 'merge' field - hoping it would wrap 'up' to the prior line if the line is not filled. But it does not wrap 'up'.

I was going to send you my FileMaker file for you to see what i have tried so far but then I realized you need a passsword to get in.

This is in response to you letter dated June 19,2006, which you sent to U.S. Customs and

Border Protection (CBP), wherein you expressed concerns regarding problems you have been

experiencing clearing inspection when returning to the United States. Please be advised that on

August 2, 2006, CBP forwarded this matter to us for review and appropriate inquiry.

yes, I tried a merge field and it merges fine with any field on the same line. But if the prior text is on a line above the 'variable' text, then I can't get the merge data to merge 'up' a line (even if I use sliding also).

You know, this does seem to work. Give me some time to play around with it and see what I was doing that was different (and not working). I'll let you know for sure tomorrow or later tonight. I really really appreciate your help!!!!!

Mr_Vodka,

This is so close to working but I am having one problem I can't figure out. Could you look at this when you have a minute and see if you can see what is causing the problem. The password to signon is 'password'. Once you sign on click on the Reports icon, then click on the 'OI TECS Response Letter'. When the letter is displayed you'll see I have a gap between the words 'wherein you'.... and 'expressed' which starts on the next line. I have no idea what is causing this gap because the phrase 'wherein you expressed' should be continuous text (as you can see when you are in Layout mode. The variable text seems to be working fine now so thanks so much for that. Thanks so much for your time. I have nobody to ask at work as I am the only FIleMaker application person and I have been using it only a few months. Thsnks so much!!!!! I'll check back later. Thanks... Lorraine

Copy_of_TECS_04-24-2007.zip

Mr Vodka,

Ok this is working now. I went in to my layout and just deleted the space after the words 'wherein you' and somehow that magically fixed my last problem. Thanks again for your help! I am thrilled that this is working now. I can't thank you enough!!!!!!!!!!!

Lorraine

This topic is 6175 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.