Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Passing user/password credentials through URL query?

This topic is 6187 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have some CWP pages that need to be accessed via authentication and others that need to be anonymously accessible. The way I understand FileMaker security, I can only accomplish this if I make all CWP access authenticated. Thus, I'd like to submit the username/password for the anonymous CWP pages for the user (so that they do not have to enter this information), but I'm not sure how to do it. I was hoping there was a way to do it directly in the URL query (we don't care if people can read this information), as I don't understand how to pass the data between XSL pages. If anyone has any tips, it would be greatly appreciated.

The way I understand FileMaker security, I can only accomplish this if I make all CWP access authenticated.

Well, not exactly. If the Guest Account is the only Account allowed CWP access then the user is never challenged for credentials from the initial web page link. However, if other Accounts are allowed CWP access, then the user would have to make a selection.

One way to address this is to have two separate gateways to the web hosted files. One has only the Guest Account enabled. The other has the Guest Account disabled. Use the former for the Guest link (e.g. Click here to access the database). Use the latter for the authenticated link (e.g. Members log on here).

There is also a short White Paper found here that might assist you.

HTH

Steven

Huge help. Thanks. I finally got it.

The page I had to worry about is just an XML wrapper for an HTML form page that submits new records. After reading the white paper, I found that if I changed $authenticated-xml-base-uri to 'http://user:pass@localhost' within the layout-uri variable, then I could bypass the default FMP Server authentication. That's all I needed.

Thanks again for your help.

This topic is 6187 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.