Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Insert Fields dynamically into an Object or vice versa?

This topic is 6184 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all,

I am new to Filemaker & was wondering if the following is/are possible:

1. Can you insert a field into a PNG image object via scripting dynamically in which the field is limited to the size of the object?

-OR-

2. Can you insert a PNG image object into a container field that expands to hold the object at its original size using a script?

I would like to be able to have a user pick a range of numbers that are then generated dynamically onto a precisely printable form into label boxes & I was thinking that using an image object of a certain size would help in avoiding expansion/ collapse when printing (having set the margins to 0).

Can this be accomplished with Filemaker Advanced 8.5?

Thank you in advance,

thegooglemoogle

Hi Goole, and Welcome to the Forum.

You can not create a png in FileMaker, but you can use them as interface design, and keep them in a container field.

HTH

Lee

Hi,

Thank you for the response. I will try to explain myself better:

I have already created a PNG file that is sized at 23x103 pixels (see attachment Precision_Print_Test_1_Single.png) for testing.

I want to be able to display a form something like the attached Precision_Print_Test_1.png through a script & not making a layout before hand.

I know I can size a field manually on top of the image in a layout, but can I create a script that allows for a user to specify say "1,2,3" & have FM dynamically either add a container field with a single image in it already sized or add an object with a field in it?

Make sense? The reason to do this would be to make it possible to avoid making a pre-built layout form with possibly hundreds of fields for smaller "boxes."

Precision_Print_Test_1.png

Precision_Print_Test_1_Single.png

I'm not sure what you want exactly. It sounds like you want the user to be able to specify how many boxes? And there either is or isn't specific text overlay for each??

I think the FileMaker answer might be a 1-row portal, with an incrementing row (assuming you want them to spread horizontally, ie., across first). It would be only 1 relationship, pointing to a table (could be the same table, with a self-relationship), where 1, 2, 3 would be 3 records.

1st Portal, # of rows [ 1 ], start with row [ 1 ]

2nd Portal, # of rows [ 1 ], start with row [ 2 ]

etc..

These could be arranged however you want on the layout. Each would contain the same field(s):)

Portal relationship::box (container)

optionally

Portal relationship::text field, on top of above

The container graphic's options should be set to Crop.

Hi,

That is a very intriguing idea.

I had wanted to create a hybrid web/desktop app & was going to settle for just desktop app due to IE's inability to create 0 margin page setups. But if the abilities of the web viewer will allow me to get precision layouts using html files all the better.

I will experiment & let you all know what I find out.

Thanks,

Matt

This topic is 6184 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.